Core Cutters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate core drilling and will always get the builder to do it if they are on site, however last week we had a bathroom fan to install on a Cotswold stone wall, backed with 4" Concrete Block, it was all very damp and about 800mm in depth, took 3 hours with diamond core bit, that's why I hate doing them.

To make it even more annoying the client wanted to know why it was taking so long, and has now complained about the bill, even though when I first looked at the job I said it could take a 3-8 hours depending on how the core drilling went and the rest of the chasing etc, with a vaulted ceiling being a pain and no easy access.

Job took 6 hours to totally finish with all making good to plaster, not a spec of dust anywhere, then they complain about cost.

it may be an unskilled job, but if your getting paid sparky rate to do it, carry on...
naw,

if you are getting paid sparky rate to do it then get a labourer in and pocket the difference,

as I said, I dont change my price, I simply add on my mates rate plus hire of a machine, I also get a days free labouring, plus the mark up on his rate to mine,  :D

I hate core drilling and will always get the builder to do it if they are on site, however last week we had a bathroom fan to install on a Cotswold stone wall, backed with 4" Concrete Block, it was all very damp and about 800mm in depth, took 3 hours with diamond core bit, that's why I hate doing them.

To make it even more annoying the client wanted to know why it was taking so long, and has now complained about the bill, even though when I first looked at the job I said it could take a 3-8 hours depending on how the core drilling went and the rest of the chasing etc, with a vaulted ceiling being a pain and no easy access.

Job took 6 hours to totally finish with all making good to plaster, not a spec of dust anywhere, then they complain about cost.
Customers like that do your head in luckily for me they seem few and far between.

Hi All.

I got a hitachi SDS+ drill. It has got a clutch and all, but after reading the above, i am a bit worried now.... Say I want to drill a 4" hole through a wall. What sort of a core drill do i use to avoid breaking my driller or its clutch? Presumably one of them diamond ones that you do not use on hammer, just twiddling round as it were???

john

can you change your chuck to a normal chuck?

if so, then it may be ok,

personally I wouldnt, but, it may be ok for the occasional use,

deffo wouldnt even think about it if you cant remove the sds chuck.

Hi Steps, not sure if you can remove the chuck... Nice drill though!! Apparently they cost about £400 I got it for £100 brand new. I knew someone that worked for a popular diy chain, and they were actuallly employed, to smash up ex display stuff and throw it in a skip. They would spend all day smashing up brand new drills and the like and putting them in the skip.

That sort of thing really annoys me. Why not give them to colleges to give to people doing courses, or send them off to poor countries [Wales??] [Joke, i live here!!]

john

Well got one as I couldn't resist.

Was sort of dreading it didn't take too long really turned hammer off let the drill do the work and went through rather easily.

Don't think I'd enjoy doing it off a set of ladders though :)

Latest posts