Could someone enlighten me ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Occasionally I start to hear words , phrases or sayings  that I''m not familiar with , yet others  seem to be quite conversant with them.  

An example from a while back was the phrase  "The Permanent Way "    in reference to the railway line.  

Another was  suddenly being used in connection with the Twin Towers on 9/11  ...."Ground Zero"      Never heard that before  9/11.

Now I keep hearing people saying  " Hash Tag"  all the time ..  just heard it again on R5.....so ...what the hell does that mean  I ask ?   :C

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole hashtag thing I take as...an individual has put something on social media , but

• isnt overly sure what they put is correct..... #what do I know
  • may be offensive so use the Hashtag as a get out .....#only joking
  • want to get big headed .........#told you so
but then i dont use them  ......................... #WTFDIK

"Ground Zero"      Never heard that before  9/11.
#you cant be serious

# is about making something easier to search for/find on the likes of facebook. This is about trying to get some lame post about a cat behaving like a cat go viral. Things that go viral can earn you money, quite  a bit of money, and if you ae really lucky and catch the publics' imagination you can retire on the earnings / book deals etc etc. A fine example of this is 'grumpy cat' which is actually an ugly cat with  a birth defect......

https://www.grumpycats.com

To further binkys reply, it assigns it to a category effectivly, it doesn't the category to be created already, the first use effectivly creates the category.

If I posted under #TEFisveryusful, someone else seeing that, and wanting to share their own experiences can use the same tag, more people see both of them and are encouraged to post more under it (they call this "going viral"). The most proplar tags at at time are said to be "trending", and you can click them and see everything posted under them. The hash symbol is just what the designers picked to denote the keyword,  they could have picked any symbol, although exclaimation mark tag wouldn't have the same ring to it! (besides which ! is often used to mean NOT)

Latest posts