Covering plug socket with Soundproofing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I crimp the wires to extend them I do each wire seperately dont I?

Am I allowed to do this myself if I am not a qualified electrician?

If I crimp the wires to extend them I do each wire seperately dont I?Am I allowed to do this myself if I am not a qualified electrician?
You can do it yourself and yes you need to do each one seperately. You'll need something like this to do it, not the cheap ones you find for a couple of quid in B&Q.

Some of these as well.

One more question: my flat has the old colours of wires ie black and red. Am I ok to crimp the black with the blue and the brown with the red?

Another question: if I'm going to extend the wires by crimping them how do I know what wire to buy? Hmm, beginning to think this might be beyond me?!

Ha ha. Ooops. But do you have the answers? I feel quite happy doing the job, just need to make sure its right.

Hi Kate,

If you are feeling as though you are unsure on the best way to proceed, then yes, it might be best to consult someone professionally, although it is something that you can do yourself if you feel confident and can comply with the relevant regulations.

There are a number of us on here in located in West Yorks (there is a map on the site too if you go to Admin's directory).

Ian.

You buy 2.5mm T+E. Black-Blue, Red-Brown, G+Y-G+Y. Make sure you sleeve your earths up to the crimps.

You'll want to install a warning: mixed colours label on your CU. ;)

My friends dad (who is a sparky) has suggested using connectors rather than crimping.

a first fix is done before plastering. confused
Cable can be left surface mounted in an airing cupboard; appearance isn't so important.