cu lables

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you swapped an accessorie for examplei'm not saying SL its what the brb is saying

SL chapter 61 does not include minor works chapter 63 does
Chapter 61 includes ALL works new, major, minor..

It gives guidance about the work.. e.g. new / additions

and the fact you should verify & test it before energising it...

Chapter 63:

Gives guidance on the types of certificate to write for the appropriate type of work you have done...

So as well as new installations chapter 61 does include ALL additions or alterations be they minor major or anywhere in between.

of which they should ALL be tested and comply with ALL current regulations!

610.4 refers you to check the regulation/s. that being all those in chapter 63

your usually right about 99% of things SL but i'm sticking to my guns here that its right. its not even one of those interpretation things its clear.
Well there you go! Obviously your BS7671 is worded differently to mine!

My 610.4 (page 156) says:-

"For an addition or alteration to an existing installation' date=' it shall be verified that the addition or alteration complies with the regulations an does not impair the safety of the existing installation."[/i']

Now I can't see where that says only refers to chapter 63????????????

Mine says must comply with the regulations!.... :|

And AFAIK

but sl your saying that 610.4 is the specific regulation which it is not its just a note in there to say make sure add/alts are to chapter 63

i have been wrong plenty of times and you live and learn but your never wrong or i've never seen you admit it

the holsters was a bit low m8 ouch

you say 63 gives guidance for all which i agree however why is mw not specifically mentioned in 514.12.1 and neither in chapter 61 or 62 to which 514.12.1 is specifically saying its for

chapter 61 does not it applies to initial verification only

obviously the regulations apply across the board there is a label for dual supply but you don't fit a sticker if no dual supply is present because the sticker is in the regs you only apply it when the specific regulation requires you to.

there is still confusion for the public and indeed professionals still that when they see a next recommended sticker that it applies to the whole installation. whilst we know we should refer to the certs for the extent. these stickers would generally be applied when a modest amount of inspection has happened but in the case of MW a tiny fraction of inspection may have been carried out further worsening the actual amount of the installation that has been inspected.

are you following?

the potential for problems on a installation with a sticker that has had very limited inspection has actually increased the risk of danger over a moderately inspected installation because the user will be mislead that all has been checked

but sl your saying that 610.4 is the specific regulation which it is not its just a note in there to say make sure add/alts are to chapter 63
As previous post... I quoted my copy of BS7671..

Obviously yours must be worded differently?

Cuz mine has no mention of your "to chapter 63" bit ?? ?:|

I can't comment further if your unquoted 610.4 is different to mine!

i have been wrong plenty of times and you live and learn but your never wrong or I've never seen you admit it

the holsters was a bit low m8 ouch
Relevance?... I can't help what you have or haven't seen?

I only continued your comment about sticking to your guns because you were claiming to be right and that my post was wrong...

which I happen to disagree with.. as I also disagree with your claim that 610.4 only refers to chapter 63 NOT "the regulations" as a whole!

But I am cool to agree to disagree.. and am happy for you to stick to your guns which is why I said you can keep them close.. (sticking to them) e.g. in the holsters! no more than tongue in cheek way of saying agree to disagree..

but he-ho! :|

you say 63 gives guidance for all which i agree however why is mw not specifically mentioned in 514.12.1 and neither in chapter 61 or 62 to which 514.12.1 is specifically saying its for

chapter 61 does not it applies to initial verification only
Durrrrr!! :eek:

Another train left the station with a passenger still at the platform me thinks?

Lets take this slowly:-

• Chapter 61 includes regulation 610.4
  • 610.4 includes ADDITIONS AND ALTERATIONS to an existing installation.
  • Any form of MWC will be always be some sort of addition or alteration.
  • Thus Chapter 61 covers work which will ultimately be written onto an MWC?
  • Carry on a bit further down the chapter e.g. 612.2 thro 612.14 covers all of the various bits of testing dead & live you will carry out on your alteration.. Some of which Apply to MWC because their test reading boxes are included on an MWC..
  • So chapter 61 includes work that we would call MWC type work. ;)

On some of your previous posts on here you appear to be incorrectly implying that:-

Chapter 61 is only relating to new work

Chapter 62 is PIR's

Chapter 63 is minor works / alterations

Whereas the context of Chapter 61 is All work' date=' new addition, alteration whatever.. MUST be initially verified, inspected and tested before being put into service. (e.g. handed over for the customer to use!)

Chapter 62 Is as you say relating to periodic inspection and test of existing installations.

Then Chapter 63 gives guidance of the relevant types of certificate to be used to record any applicable test results.

obviously the regulations apply across the board there is a label for dual supply but you don't fit a sticker if no dual supply is present because the sticker is in the regs you only apply it when the specific regulation requires you to.
Well the dual supply part is a totally daft and irrelevant comparison which I won't bother persuing...

But your last part confirms why you should always check a next inspection sticker is present...

EVERY installation no matter how large or small should be inspected and tested on a regular basis.. see guidance note 3 (or do G&G 2191).

and for that reason EVERY installation should have a warning sticker as per 514.12 located on or adjacent to the origin.

Or are you also saying that your regs book says some electrical installations do not deteriorate with age and therefore do not need inspection testing etc..?

there is still confusion for the public and indeed professionals still that when they see a next recommended sticker that it applies to the whole installation. whilst we know we should refer to the certs for the extent.
erm.... have you read the wording of the sticker?

THIS INSTALLATION SHOULD BE PERIODICALLY INSPECTED AND TESTED...

or do yours say..

THESE CIRCUITS AMENDED ON CERTIFICATES xyz1234 SHOULD BE INSPECTED AND TESTED......etc..

And so if as a professional competent person you are unclear as to the condition of the whole installtion... You don't go sticking next inspection 10years!! you can put months or weeks if you want.. Are you following? :|

these stickers would generally be applied when a modest amount of inspection has happened but in the case of MW a tiny fraction of inspection may have been carried out further worsening the actual amount of the installation that has been inspected.

are you following?

the potential for problems on a installation with a sticker that has had very limited inspection has actually increased the risk of danger over a moderately inspected installation because the user will be mislead that all has been checked
Well if someone is stoopid enough to put a 10 year next inspection date for the installation when they have only done a small amendment then they shouldn't be an electrician. a lot of that last paragraph is just plain daft..

Lets just recap here:-

There is either NO existing sticker.. or there IS a sticker..

(a)

As the opening question on post#1 was for when you are working at an installation that has NO sticker present?

Then whether you are doing minor works or major works to comply with regulation 514.12.1, good practice is you would make sure a sticker is attached and if there are no previous PIR or EIC available you would put just the correct answers in the boxes..

e.g.

Last inspected "UNKNOWN"

Next inspection "A.S.A.P."

(B)

If you are doing work on an installation that already has a next inspection sticker..

If your work is NOT a PIR then you leave the sticker with whatever dates were already applicable on it and just issue your EIC or MWC for the work you have done!

If the next inspection date has already elapsed then you advise the customer to get one done ASAP and give them a price for the job!

©

Whether sticker or No sticker previous, if you are doing a PIR then you put a new sticker and date it as appropriate.

Remember... The Date of last inspection will refer to ether:-

the original EIC or the last PIR. NOT any in between MWC's or EIC' dates!

Simples!

blimey... that got long:(

;) :) :coffee

some reply sl :Applaud

discussion are good

obviously my brb is worded as yours but your reading it/using/interpreting it wrong in this instance imo

some reply sl :Applaud discussion are good

obviously my brb is worded as yours but your reading it/using/interpreting it wrong in this instance imo
well.. if thats how you feel...

better just push the komputer to the side and finish off KME's beer....

GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

then all of Admin2's wine!

:Y :Y:Y:Y:Y:Y:Y:Y

;) :x

some reply sl :Applaud discussion are good

This is where this forum is so good, to get other people opinions , it does not mean they are wrong it shows a differance in how the regs are interpreted.

thanks for your views SL / kme / andr . i'm all out of beer must get down to the superstores for the 20 cans for

well thanks every one for your imput has been very helpfull

excerlent forum excerlent crowd

sorry SL ive got to ask this but have you got a voice activated program which types for you or did you type that lot out or have a secretary typing for you?

Good thread BTW

Cheers

sorry SL ive got to ask this but have you got a voice activated program which types for you or did you type that lot out or have a secretary typing for you?Good thread BTW

Cheers
If you are ever online when he's doing a 'big' post you will see he can sometimes take 30 minutes over a reply. Sometimes he takes so long that the forum registers him as logged out. I wholeheartedly believe he types them.

:D

If you are ever online when he's doing a 'big' post you will see he can sometimes take 30 minutes over a reply. Sometimes he takes so long that the forum registers him as logged out. I wholeheartedly believe he types them. :D
:^O

so do i patch SL does know his shat

I was recently told that if you need software which is expensive and you have a child which is registered at any school you can get massive discounts on computer software at software4students.com. Havent really looked into it but the tutor said you can get voice activation programs cheap which would save a lot of typing/time.

You would obviously have to say they were for the student tho lol.

Hope that helps somebody

However you can write on the PIR label the work you have done and date it. Another spark will then search for the paperwork with the client.

If you are ever online when he's doing a 'big' post you will see he can sometimes take 30 minutes over a reply. Sometimes he takes so long that the forum registers him as logged out. I wholeheartedly believe he types them. :D
Ok..

time to let out the big secret.....

I dictate them to my wife...

who writes them in shorthand...

This shorthand is then Faxed over to Deke's....

Deke can read 27 different languages..

But NOT shorthand...

So Deke gets Brian to translate the shorthand:C

into Brummie...

From which he then types it on his computer..

saves it onto a USB stick..

Gets a 24hr motorbike courier to bring the USB stick back to me..

But we must remember Deke's computer is still using

WORDSTAR for documents and

LOTUS 123 for Spread sheets..

So I have to import the Wordstar Document into WORD..

Then copy and paste the Word document onto my post on the forum!!!

So thats it boys the truth is out!!! :Blushing

:innocent :innocent:innocent

Latest posts