cu update to 17th.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a bit confused over this issue. Admittedly, in my 'unofficial' days i've snipped a few seals but on all the weeks of my recent courses the tutors have emphasised that you NEVER cut the seals or remove the fuse. What's the general opinion on here? I'm doing my CU change for my assessment (and because it's in sh*t order) in the near future and don't really want a red card before i've even begun to play. Not sure on the situation regarding isolators in YEDL area but I may check on that.
NEDL & YEDL are both owned by CE electric, so im guessing YEDL will use the same REC2 isolators are NEDL. so fit your own?

NEDL & YEDL are both owned by CE electric, so im guessing YEDL will use the same REC2 isolators are NEDL. so fit your own?
I'll probably do that. Am I being a little over concerned about removing the service fuse myself? Seems to be a lot of conflicting views on this.

I'll probably do that. Am I being a little over concerned about removing the service fuse myself? Seems to be a lot of conflicting views on this.
adding an isolator can be done live if existing are large enough (well, it can be done on 6mm

Some interesting replies here , just goes to show how much of a mine field this industry has become and most of it does seem to be more money orientated than it does for safety .. :eek: :|

whats safe about not being legally able to isolate a supply?

and for all the proof you need that the DNO is more interested in money over safety.... PME/TNCS

Not too keen on working live. Not done a lot of these so i'm sticking to dead work for now. Meter tails are 16 so, although I could leave it, it would be a good opportunity to change to 25.

whats safe about not being legally able to isolate a supply?and for all the proof you need that the DNO is more interested in money over safety.... PME/TNCS
Gotta agree on this. How bizarre that you can have meter tails running up the wall in your house that you cannot isolate legally. My meter tails run 3 metres up my bedroom wall (converted garage) in plastic conduit under plaster. No isolation whatsoever. Both water and gas incomers have isolation.

Completely f-ing stupid. X(

some newer meters have a built in isolator. its hidden under the cover for the terminals. some meters only have 1 cover, some have 2
Believe me, there is nothing 'new' about any of my wiring. House built 1972 - one ring main extended way beyond it's capability, no bonding, cr*p earth, ancient meter, overlong tails and probably a bundle of other Code 1s knocking about in there somewhere...

Isolation unlikely..

Oh... and, just for you Andy, it's TNCS...

Believe me, there is nothing 'new' about any of my wiring. House built 1972 - one ring main extended way beyond it's capability, no bonding, cr*p earth, ancient meter, overlong tails and probably a bundle of other Code 1s knocking about in there somewhere...Isolation unlikely..

Oh... and, just for you Andy, it's TNCS...
just because the house wiring is old, doesnt mean the meter hasnt been changed for a newer type with an isolator

just because the house wiring is old, doesnt mean the meter hasnt been changed for a newer type with an isolator
Just working off memory so I could be wrong. Never really had a close look. Not been changed in the 10 years we've been there. Will have a look tonight to confirm.

Latest posts