Custom outdoor enclosure / CU / hookup

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummydave

Reaction score
Evening!

I'm after a caravan-hookup-style point /enclosure for an outdoor woodland stage. Currently a weatherproof double socket is fixed to the side of the stage (SWA direct feed from a building TT install) but this is not satisfactory.

I need the hookup to have circuit protection, a couple of 16A sockets, one or two double 13A sockets, and possibly a timer / switches for permanent woodland lighting. I know that caravan park regs say all sockets must be interlocked, but it does seem to add £30 per 16A socket to do so and are they worth it?

I've found these but none are quite what i'm after.:

tlc - twin 16A enclosure

rolec hook-ups

cef - rolec 3 way interlock hookup

Has anybody any recomendations for getting a custom enclosure made up?

I spoke with Gewiss at UKCW last year and they can make a panel with any combination of commando, or 13A sockets, lighting points etc. However not usually as a one off!

I also need it to have internet - either an ethernet cable direct to the building and then a wifi router. Or maybe one of those 'wifi repeater' sockets that grabs the building wifi and boosts it. I have no experience of using them though!

Thanks muchly.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of comments as a caravanner, (because I don't know the relavent regulations). 

Caravan club site outlets used to be the interlock type, -  turn the plug to switch on, press button to release, but on recently updated sites I use these have been removed and standard non-interlock type fitted.

All their installations use a pillar system concreted into the ground.  These appear to be modular and can have any number of socket outlets, circuit breakers, lights, photo sensors, etc   don't know who makes them and they probably aren't cheap but could be cheaper than custom manufacture.

Hi Dave ,   first thing I thought was ....its not a caravan so forget the caravan Regs  !  

I think I'd be looking at getting  a suitable  IP  enclosure and doing a bit of panel building  myself .     

Not caravan reg, but I'd adopt parts if they were sensible... eg interlocked sockets i at low level where children might have access, if high up or in gated off areas then maybe not necessary, etc

You could do as Deke suggested, or if you dont fancy it try http://www.hawkins-electrical.co.uk/services/distribution/  They are primarily for the caravan park industry, however they have done one offs of various stuff to our design for other installs, so draw it up and ask them for a price

A couple of comments as a caravanner, (because I don't know the relavent regulations). 

Caravan club site outlets used to be the interlock type, -  turn the plug to switch on, press button to release, but on recently updated sites I use these have been removed and standard non-interlock type fitted.

All their installations use a pillar system concreted into the ground.  These appear to be modular and can have any number of socket outlets, circuit breakers, lights, photo sensors, etc   don't know who makes them and they probably aren't cheap but could be cheaper than custom manufacture.

Interesting - interlock is a part of the 18th edition. I wonder why non-interlocks have been fitted recently?

I'm more of a camper than caravanner and have never taken a picture of the pillars so thanks for the link!

Hi Dave ,   first thing I thought was ....its not a caravan so forget the caravan Regs  !  

I think I'd be looking at getting  a suitable  IP  enclosure and doing a bit of panel building  myself .     

Hiya, yes I had that thought as well, but was looking there and at 'caravan supplies' for inspiration and making sure I don't get it wrong!

Panel building sounds fun but as Geoff says, it may be possible buy something off the peg / custom for less time than i'd spend. :)

PS thought i saw your van outside screwfix sutton the other week but nobody was around to say hi!

Not caravan reg, but I'd adopt parts if they were sensible... eg interlocked sockets i at low level where children might have access, if high up or in gated off areas then maybe not necessary, etc

You could do as Deke suggested, or if you dont fancy it try http://www.hawkins-electrical.co.uk/services/distribution/  They are primarily for the caravan park industry, however they have done one offs of various stuff to our design for other installs, so draw it up and ask them for a price

good tip as children could easily have access.

And thanks for the Hawkins tip - they will get a spec from me!

Interesting - interlock is a part of the 18th edition. I wonder why non-interlocks have been fitted recently?
I've wondered myself.

The interlock connectors used to cause endless problems with novice users. Firstly they couldn't get power on, then didn't know how to detach their plug again. Some people are pretty thick!

However, the Caravan Club is really hot on H&S, thinking up all sorts of daft things to do, so the removal of the interlock connectors did surprise me.  It was done about two or three years ago at my favourite site.

If the requirement is only recently added to the 'regs perhaps we will see them re-introduced. 

Not me Dave , my van is not marked up .      Probably  Evans Electrical  ,  they're based in Sutton I think .   I use Denmans , Perry Barr  for almost everything.

Ah, you have spread light on the confusion :). I thought you used Perry Barr so was surprised to see you in Sutton.. but it wasn't you, so I didn't see you!

Is it for temporary events? BS7909 may apply

It'll be a permanent install, used sometimes for day or evening events and probably permanently for woodland lighting.

I've been to a talk on BS7909 but only remember a few pointers like don't let standards slip just because it's 'temporary', consider earthing, voltage drop on long runs, trip hazards etc. I don't have a copy to check which parts might apply to this stage tho.

Any tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
Linked to the custom enclosure, but possible a separate topic, is the installation of twinwall ducting. Again, a first for me.

Any tips on what to do at each end of the ducting? I've got 50/63mm ridgicoil duct to put various swa cables inside now and in the future.

I'm not sure whether to put an underground pit at each end of the ducting or is it better to curve the duct up to overground and then use a large adaptable box?

Or any other install tips please?