Cutting galv tube

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Travis Perkins...

:pmsl:

I think that's branch dependant, I use quite a few regularly up and down the country and some bend over backwards to get you what you want at the right price, others not so much. Same with most national chains IME, and it's not always the home branch that is the best.

I fit the odd bit of handrail generally the 48.3mm stuff. Tradtionally it's always been the 9" 110V grinder if I can get away with it then a 115mm with a flap disc to deburr. 

Also we now use, more often, the 255mm Evolution Rage chop saw in 110V. Sees a lot of heavy site use the.

I have my own 230V Evolution 255mm saw too. Did the tree house handrail with it. :)

I wonder if the 210mm bladed one would be portable? Can you even get it in 110V.

The odd one off I've a 60mm max Record pipe cutter. I wouldn't want to be doing lots with it though!

Hi Blue duck,

Hmm,. they are a bit unwieldy to use, as my one is about 2 feet long or betting on that way, so twirling it round a pipe is a bit awkward.. Nice square cut though and i suppose to cut something like a scaffold tube would take a few minutes, but it is not hard work in the least and the end of the tube would need no further dressing and not be sharp or anything.. There WILL be a sharp "fin" around the inside bore of the pipe, but this will not matter. It would be my choice above all else to be honest if i was doing it..

You will need some kind of vice or something to clamp the tube in to stop it turning though..

john..

Reciprocating saws are fine, but you need a decent blade, a lot of people swear by DeWalt, I usually swear at them, I had a weird one a couple of years back, a car in a back garden that had to come out in bits. I used LENNOX blades and only used 2 to slice up a full car, a low speed is the trick here.