Solar PV, Divertor and EV Charging

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeW

Reaction score
Hi. I currently have a 4kw pv system installed and use a iboost to divert the excess into the hot water tank. This works ok and generally between April-Sept don't need to use gas to top up the hot water, however it does tend to spend a lot of time 'overheating' therefore the excess is just going back to the grid but as it serves it purpose for out hot water, until now its not really worried me. The Iboost is installed correctly and I regularly clean the vents etc, I just think its one of those things where its fitted in a small airing cupboard and it just gets warm in there.

Im now looking to install an EV point, and whilst I won't massively gain from using any excess to charge the car I'm kinda thinking I should look to do this. My thinking of not gaining massively from the PV to charge the car is that I am out 5 days a week (with the car), and on the weekends even when the sun is out and the car is at home the household is busy with washing machines and the like so any 1.4KW > going back into the car won't be for long periods.

The garage where the EV point is being installed is at the back of my garden (say 15m away). I'm looking at two options currently that I am hoping won't cost the earth, but wondered if I am missing a trick anywhere.

1) Leave the iboost insitu and install a Simpson and Partners EV (I like the look of this unit) unit with the solar option, my preference is to keep the iboost as the priority for water and then direct surplus to the car (I am aware its cheaper to heat the hot water via gas) but I like the fact we just don't need to use the boiler in the summer and don't want to faff about with that. As the Iboost does cut in and out all due to it overheating, what I don't know is how the EV point will react. Will that just draw power until the Iboost has cooled down and starts directing power into the immersion again?
2) Ditch the I boost and install a Zappi & Harvi with the My Eddie unit. As the distance from the EV point to the meter is approx 20m I think I need to install new wiring with Cat 5 from meter to the garage with this option.

So option 1 is pretty much my preferred (I think), but just wondered if anyone has any experience of option 2 and knows of the Eddi units are reliable - Do they have their flaws and drawbacks like the Iboost. I do like my techy products and this option is really reliable and through the app I can chop and change priorities quite easily I may go for this option.

Any thoughts welcome.

I think with the Eddi you can set priorities, so hot water then car. Some forum members have these units, hopefully they will be along to answer your question better than I can

I have Harvi, Eddi and Zappi. Dead easy to install, all communication via WiFi, the Harvi interface unit is amazing, it gets it's power from the CT's so no batteries. The system works fawlessly, it's easy to change priorities from the app and simply works. Changing priorities is as simple as sliding an icon round in the app.

I have Harvi, Eddi and Zappi. Dead easy to install, all communication via WiFi, the Harvi interface unit is amazing, it gets it's power from the CT's so no batteries. The system works fawlessly, it's easy to change priorities from the app and simply works. Changing priorities is as simple as sliding an icon round in the app.
Great. I think i have been swayed to go for the Zappi, Eddi and Harvi. Due to the distances involved, do you think I will need the SWA with Cat 5 from garage to meter.? Extract of rough set up below. If so, it looks to be approx £10m a meter, are any places better than others? Doncaster Cables seem to be the most common?
1672218541250.png

Latest posts