Dead Acer laptop windoze computer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Acer "experience" if it helps: My boy passed his 11-Plus so as a reward we bought him a seemingly decent spec laptop, an Acer 7535G, 17" screen, separate 512MB graphics card, 4GB RAM & 500GB HDD. It came with Vista (which I can't stand) but also an offer to upgrade to Windows 7 for free. In reality it was about

I doubt they upgraded it for you
It went away with Vista on it and came back with Windows 7............not sure what you mean? Do you mean they put on a "fresh" i.e. not UPGRADE version of Windows 7? I sent the laptop back along with the upgrade discs in the photo.

(I'm on it now funnily enough, though wishing I hadn't as I've just looked at the little s@d's history! Asked if i could borrow it and he must have forgotten he'd left it paused in the middle of Saw II. Not sure what's more worrying, that or the "ball gag" fetish links. FFS he's only 13!)

Lol if that's all your son looks at at 13 no need to worry at thirteen I was already looking a much more interesting this haha

First of all a big thanks for all the info, it all helps. With the motivation from you guys and a spare couple of hours i had this evening, i thought tonight im gonna get stuck into this.

I found the USB stick and went into the loft to dig out a monitor.

I thought im going to do the ubuntu on USB stick and plug monitor in.

I plugged the monitor in, turned it on and the laptop screen works. Not the monitor. It has loaded up the installed vista and runs like a dog, currently doing a defrag and disk clean up.

the first time i fixed it i had read about the memory needing to be reseated, so i tried that and it worked. when it broke the 2nd time i tried the memory again but it did not work.

Since i have mentioned it on here i tried the memory thing, unplugged everything i could unplug, re plugged it in. I even tried swapping a hard drive from another old acer laptop the mother in law gave the misses before this one. (there is a pattern of the mother in law buying lame laptops every year which only last a year. My parents got a macbook 5 years ago and it still works fine)

before when i tried all the other stuff and turned it on there was no noises to indicate windows had loaded, nothing on the screen but the HD was spinning.

I am totally confused as to why it has just started to work when i plugged the monitor in, and why it did not work on the monitor and the lap top screen works.

Its an acer so there is something wrong with it.

I think i still should try get ubuntu diagnosis on it to see what it has to say about the hardware

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:07 ----------

regards onoff's post i think i should follow and get windows 7 on it.

I have just bought a copy of windows 7 to run in parallels on my macbook for running electrical cert software. I am guessing i will need a key for it if i try install on the acer, been as i need the key code for my macbook.

Of course i am reluctant to pay for proper key code for the acer as its not worth

Last edited by a moderator: