Digital RGB LED Strip light system setup (Power Requirements and Signal Amplification)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slacker

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I want to renovate my home office. I want to put Digital RGB LED Light strips in coving and skirting boards but am having issues understanding a few things about powering and controlling the light strips.

Firstly I will explain the room setup. It is L shaped and the total length of the walls are 14.7 meters.

I wish to have 2 loops of 15 meters controlled by a single dmx controller (wall mounted/remote/wifi/sound reactive).

My main issue is understanding how to power the strips. I have ordered six 5 meter rolls of digital tape giving me 30 meters of tape. Data for the led tape follows:

input voltage:.............DC5v; 

Power:.......................60leds/m----16watt/meter

LED resource:.............WS2812B led(5050 SMD RGB LED with built-in improved version of ws2811 ic)

LED: ...............each LED is separately controlled(Individually Addressable)

IC Type: .....................improved version ws2812 IC(built inside the 5050 smd rgb led) 

of IC: ..................(1 IC drives 1 led chip); 

Pixels:.........                60/meter; 

Pitch: .........................16.6mm(1000/64); 

Grey scale: ................256;

Bits/color: ...................8-bits/color;

FPC size: ....................Width: 10mm, High: 2.5mm; 

FPC color: .........    BLACK/White

Protection rate...... IP20

Colors: ........................Full color RGB, dream color changing; 

Cuttable:......................every LED is cuttable; 

Package: ....................in anti-static bag

Looking at the data we can see its 16 watts per meter, which means my total power requirements are 480 watts for the 30 meters of tape.

16 x 30 = 480

Now my main question is do I need to power each strip with its own PSU, each loop with its own PSU or a single PSU for the whole system? 

Could someone help me design the circuit correctly so I buy the correct PSU and Amplifiers for the loops.

Please help a novice make a proper first installation.

Regards,

Iain

Latest posts