Dimplex Storage Heater Thermostat Needed.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title says, I need one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dimplex-XT9605-Thermostat-Cutout-to-fit-XL18-24-CXL-18-24-Storage-Heaters-/140911549522?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item20cefb9c52

Usual problem, it's the thermal overload trip that's gone, the left hand bit as shown by the picture in that link, and unless someone tells me otherwise, these are not resettable.

I've bought many of these from the bay of e, usually for £10-15

but this time they all seem to be £32

So I'm looking for something cheaper.

I am familliar with the round ones with a white button in the middle. you press those down they go click and reset.

This is the third one of this design I have had recently.  Once "tripped" there are two strips of copper that have sprung apart. you can push them together, but there's nothing to hold them together.

I've pushed and pulled every bit I can see and can't see a way to reset them. So I thought they were held in place by something that "fused" and caused them to spring apart if they overheated.

Have I just been unlucky and come across 3 of them that have broken and not just tripped?

I don't need one urgently, a week or so will do. In this case the storage heater has a convector built into the front, and there's a coal fire in the room so they are not without heat.  I'm going back in about a week to do a CU change so it would be good to have one by then.

My "problem" (or perceived problem) is I have always been able to buy them for £15 and charge the customer (letting agent) £20 for them plus fitting. Now all of a sudden, unless I can get them cheaper, it will be nearer £40 to the customer, and I don't want them wondering why I'm suddenly ripping them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bit on the left looks like a little paddle, and you push down and towards middle and it should move and click at the same time.

I'm not very good at describing it but you get my drift.

Well I'm going to do the CU change at this property next week, and I'll refrain from ordering a new one until I have tried to reset this one.

The last two I had like this, no amount of pushing, pulling or prodding any moveable part would get it to reset.

But perhaps it's just me?  This is certainly NOT an intuitive mechanism. So I'll take this out of the heater to "work" on it so I can see it properly, and have a look with a magnifying glass to try and understand how the mechanism works and which bit needs pushing in which direction to reset it. and let you know.

Unfortunately the last two failures that were replaced, I have thrown away the old failed ones, so no longer have them to experiment with.

To be honest, if it can't be reset, I have half considered soldering a thermal fuse across the contacts of the trip. It would be a lot cheaper, but of course you would all consider it a "bodge". But given that thermal fuses are used as an over temperature device in many storage heaters I can't see what would be wrong. (plus I already have a bag of thermal fuses)   :coat

They should as, mentioned, reset when the 'paddle' (where the two yellow marks are on your drawing) is pushed and you get a 'click'.

If it is ******** I always get my spares from here

http://www.storageheater.co.uk/Models/Dimplex/CXL.htm

Usually, mostly in rentals, I find people have tried to use the storage heater as a conventional radiator and dry their clothes on them!!

Usually cause they don't know any different.

I did manage to reset this one.

It's not at all obvious.

You have to push inwards right into the heart of the trip, underneath the flap of metal that's visible, then it goes click and resets.

So I'll know next time. You have to remove the thermostat from the heater to reset it, you simply can't get anything in to push the right bit in the right direction otherwise.

Oh and I had to remove a wet towel from the (cold) heater before I could get the cover off, so no prizes for guessing why it tripped. The only question is how long before it trips again.

Which part of "Do Not Cover" is beyond the comprehension of the average tenant? 

I did manage to reset this one.

It's not at all obvious.

You have to push inwards right into the heart of the trip, underneath the flap of metal that's visible, then it goes click and resets.

So I'll know next time. You have to remove the thermostat from the heater to reset it, you simply can't get anything in to push the right bit in the right direction otherwise.

Oh and I had to remove a wet towel from the (cold) heater before I could get the cover off, so no prizes for guessing why it tripped. The only question is how long before it trips again.

Which part of "Do Not Cover" is beyond the comprehension of the average tenant?
I think you push that flap Dave, I've never removed the stat, just pushed the flap with a terminal and you hear it click.

Latest posts