Directory of local electricians?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalit

Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering if anyone had a list of big employers that take on apprentices? I live in Glasgow and just passed my SECTT test. I'm sure I seen a list on the SECTT website but can't seem to find it anymore.

I've already went though Yell.com and emailed all the electrical companies in my area.

Am I right on thinking that even if I do get an apprenticeship I won't get a start until college starts this fall? If so, is there anything I can do in the meantime? I applied for the pre-apprentice course at cardonald college but I missed the Jan cutoff and the next class starts in Sep. Perhaps other college courses that start soon which wuld be beneficial?

Thanks for any replies,

Mark

Does no one have any recommendations of companies or courses? :_|

Some of this is Scotland specific

Don't do any NON-SECTT courses (access course is fine if it's supported by them). SECTT don't normally recognise others training

You start your apprenticeship officially on your first day of college, get work before then

My tuppence worth:

• Write to all local companies
  • Follow up letter by a phone call
  • Volunteer to do a free 'day' - try before they buy
  • Do your research before interviews (company info etc)
  • Listen more than you talk
  • Don't text at work (unless on a break)
  • Buy Brian Scaddan's domestic electrical wiring book- read it and mention it at interviews

I know you are young, but don't talk back to tradesmen, and ask plenty of questions. Be confident - but not overly confident

My tuppence worth:

• Write to all local companies
  • Follow up letter by a phone call
My tuppence worth

Id rather people didnt phone me after they have sent a CV - If im interested, i know you phone number (providing you remembered to put it on CV!) and will contact you. for larger companies with loads of staff, maybe a phone call then just to make sure the manager/HR has received it