Does everyone get these phone calls??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About 4 times a day for the last month we get calls from Asian sounding people who ,strangely, all introduce themselves with an English name. You know whats coming as they start with " Can I speak to Mr Eeeevens ... I work for Microsoft and I need to discuss your computer because it has viruses , I am speaking from ......... various English place names "

Surely the same people don't keep calling , so who the hell are they and what do they want . You'd think being told to to go away 4 times a day they'd get the message.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one, strung him on for 20 minutes, told him how concerned and worried I was particlurly since I did not even own a computer; and what was even more worrying was how they had got a phone number for me AS i did not even have a phone!!!!! You could hear the cog wheels crashing and grinding in

his little head................ :coat

It is a scam. I can't remember what happens exactly, but I think they get you to let them onto your computer, then they just take what info they want. I'm not sure if they also plant a virus on for good measure?

They will try to get your remote access to your computer to glean information, they will tell you for a small fee that they can repair your computer and once they have your debit/credit card details they will steal any money you have. If you have online banking they will try to get your log in details and transfer all your money to a nice man in Nigeria or India. One way to mess them up, is tell them to ring you back on your other telephone number and give them the number for the local police station.

Anyone who calls my house that i have not prior contacted now just gets verbal abuse from myself or the wife, getting to enjoy shouting at them; saves shouting at the kids.

I like to give them my address something like

1 The Mall, SW1, POX 17, BFPO Bastion, Wales, Dundee Cake, Just outside Loo, HMP Strangeways ............

In fact I pause a little after each and add something else 1) cause they don't have a F clue about place names & 2) just to see how many lines I can get on their form before they start to twig that I might be a time waster (insert irony here) or just raving mad

Oh and when I'm in a really cruel mood I'll imitate their accent or randomly change to another (too much time on my hands eh?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the PPI, Duh!

Also had one persistent one asking what the make of the main TV in the house was!

I did the "put me through to your supervisor" bit and they just passed me around themselves " before we do that can you tell us the make of the main TV in the house". So I asked for the company name and address bvto receive some undecipherable word and my own address back to me. I hung up after three rounds.

Another, I don't even know what they wanted as he became very abusive after I told him I was not interested. A follow up call was the same and the third I just kept saying "Hello?" to which he was extremely abusive before giving up and nothing more heard.

Opted out of the calls and so far, no other calls:Applaud

I dont think EVERYONE could be getting them.....

Cuz if everyone was receiving calls....

No-one would be making calls!!!!!!!!!

worst case Half making half receiving calls!

we are getting about 4 calls a day from this lot, the problem is when we answer there is no one there. spoke to bt and they said that as the calls are comming from india there was nothing we could do about it.

its a right pain in the a***

for those with a blackberry, google 'phone basics'. everytime someone phones me selling something, add their number to blacklist. if they try and phone again, the call gets blocked.

costs a few

Latest posts