Driving Licence Photo Type

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theorysparky

Domestic Electrician
Reaction score
Just a thought

Did you know it has an expiry date ???

since they were introduced the first ones are starting to expire

10 yrs i think

worth a check as i didnt realise,,,my paper one said 2025 so i wasnt worried

The reason for that is because if you pass your and get your licence when you 18 by the time you get to 50 your picture will be nothing like you where when you were 18 same as for passports.

Just a thoughtDid you know it has an expiry date ???

since they were introduced the first ones are starting to expire

10 yrs i think

worth a check as i didnt realise,,,my paper one said 2025 so i wasnt worried
afaik, your licence to drive is still valid, but you have to re-new the photo part (mostly because its a photo, and that can change a lot in 10 years)

You need to be careful here - your driving licence comprises both the photo card and the paper counterpart. DLVA states that you can continue to drive once you have applied for a renewal for a photocard.

I wouldn't like to be pulled over or involved in an accident with an out of date photocard. Unsure if this would fall under 'Driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence'?

Any plods want to comment?

hi where is the expiry date on it have mine here on the back it has

03-29 the front is a bit smudged could be o4 -11

do they send a reminder ?

am a bit used to this, been photo licences in Northern Ireland for a long long time now, (ID papers as such!), used to be a little booklet thing similar to a cut down passport, just like the English one now tho without the barcode(my one at least) so no points!!!!!!!

tho I do have a couple of different licences from various nations, :)

am a bit used to this, been photo licences in Northern Ireland for a long long time now, (ID papers as such!), used to be a little booklet thing similar to a cut down passport, just like the English one now tho without the barcode(my one at least) so no points!!!!!!!tho I do have a couple of different licences from various nations, :)
What the hell are you , Steps , an international spy posing as an electrician. Are you licensed to thrill , travelling round on a scrap cart with a Reliant 950cc engine hidden underneath. Hecules is really a racehorse in disguise for quick getaways. Yes I see it all now.,your cover is broken, instead of SMERSH and SPECTRE its back to NICEIC and ELECSA . ;) :p

What the hell are you , Steps , an international spy posing as an electrician. Are you licensed to thrill , travelling round on a scrap cart with a Reliant 950cc engine hidden underneath. Hecules is really a racehorse in disguise for quick getaways. Yes I see it all now.,your cover is broken, instead of SMERSH and SPECTRE its back to NICEIC and ELECSA . ;) :p
I suspect that Hercules might infact be Shergar :D

afaik, your licence to drive is still valid, but you have to re-new the photo part (mostly because its a photo, and that can change a lot in 10 years)
The liscence is still valid but if it's not updated your liable for up to a

LOL Deke, you just tend to collect these things on your travels as such, (3 passports too!!!!) makes life so much easier if you have a licence from the actual country you are living in rather than somewhere else, some places insist on it after 3/6/12 months or so.

but AFAIK if your licence does not have your current UK address then it is illegal and therefore invalid, as would also be the case if it is out of date, this would be a major get out clause for an insurance company I would think. although I would like to think plod would overlook a minor thing like this if only on a standard stop. (or am I too believing in good coppers?????)

I still drive on the old type which Is valid until you're 70. Can't see the point in paying for a new one & having to renew it every 10 years. Have to use my passport when photo ID is needed. Don't know what I'd do if I didn't have one as I don't have any other photo ID.