Earth rod/spike

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonF

Reaction score
I discovered that the earth rod that was installed when the kitchen in my house was refitted, has been damaged when a new patio was put in. Is there a particular depth that a new rod should be? The rest of the house is earthed, it's only the kitchen that is missing.

It would be most unusual for the kitchen to have it;s own earth rod. Normally where the earthing method is TT there will be one or more rods connecting the the Main Earth Terminal and all circuits in the house will connect to that same earth.

It sounds like the kitchen fitters did some sort of bodge to "correct" a fault by adding an earth rod just for the kitchen. It is probably best to find and fix that fault so the kitchen circuit is earthed to the MET.

I’ve seen an earth rod being used to “Earth” The incoming water main

I would say unless you have proper test equipment and the knowledge how to use it you might need paid help

Thanks for the replies. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a bodge as some of the plumbing work was also poor and I had someone else in to sort that. I'll get someone in that I know is trustworthy.

I discovered that the earth rod that was installed when the kitchen in my house was refitted, has been damaged when a new patio was put in. Is there a particular depth that a new rod should be? The rest of the house is earthed, it's only the kitchen that is missing.

The method of providing an electrical earth may or may not use an earth rod.

If rod(s) are used, the quantity of rod(s), length of rod(s) (e.g. depth), will be dependant upon the local physical ground conditions; soil/sand/rock etc..

It is the earth loop impedance value obtained that typically governs if you need longer or more rods. So there is no 'one-size-fits-all' standard answer for all earth rod installations.

You need someone to test and confirm what is actually there at the moment, to establish what additional measures may be needed.

Latest posts