Generator and earth rod problems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad

Reaction score
I’ve been round to test a food cabin/ cafe for a friend taking it on. It’s only a few lights and sockets and it’s running off a portable generator. There was no separate earth so I suggested an earth rod and the owners put in 2 and they’ve been linked together and back to the board in the cabin. My problem is I can’t get an earth loop reading at all and my tester is only reading 100 Volts between live and earth. Do I need to put more rods in because it’s not the best ground? Or is it something to do with the generator, because I can’t get a reading if I plug directly into the generator. Thanks

As above the generator is probably not earth referenced and the windings floating. Your earth terminal probably only goes to the generator frame. This is fine for running single items (such as a power tool in the middle of a field) and is effectivly an IT system, but is no good for suppling an installation, unless there is monitoring for the first fault and the instalaltion is under the control of a skilled person. Generally you'll have to provide a N-E link at the origin of the installation. Have a look at section 7.1.3 of BS7430.

You could put as many earth electroduces in the ground as you want, and still not get an earth loop reading (hint: get a sheet of paper and try and draw out the fault path)