Earthing and bonding advice needed.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course I will I'm just trying to do as much of the work myself as I can there's no law against that it there ? 

If you are, as you say, a Contractor and not just a hopelessly out of their depth DIY'er, then I think you may find there are laws applicable. http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/index.htm  But there again just as many motorists consider, speeding, drink driving, using a mobile phone etc. all to be requirements non-applicable to themselves, and as you obviously ignore basic industry guidance there is little point discussing good safe working practice that complies with H&S or wiring regulations. As you have no intention of following sensible guidance.

Doc H. 

Look read and answer my questions here let me help you "you'll need an earth rod it's a long copper rod you hammer it into the ground and the green earth wire bolts onto it you can purchase one from an electrical factor or diy store" 

As always safety first so remember to get a qualified electrician to check your work is safe before you switch on the supply. 

Look read and answer my questions here let me help you "you'll need an earth rod it's a long copper rod you hammer it into the ground and the green earth wire bolts onto it you can purchase one from an electrical factor or diy store" 

As always safety first so remember to get a qualified electrician to check your work is safe before you switch on the supply. 

Anyone who is genuinely considering safety first would be applying the guidance of BS7671 in the design and installation stages, not just the "check it before you switch on" concept. Clearly from the photos and comments on this and your other thread, your concept of "safety first" is primarily around you protecting your bank balance. Whereas a professional outlook on electrical safety, which pivots around the fundamental principal given in regulation 131.1, to protect people property and livestock from the dangers which may arise around electrical installations, would encompass far more than just test it and switch on.

As said earlier, there are Heath and Safety laws that do cover the sorts of penny pinching attitude applied to your electrical installation. And there are prosecutions for contractors who cut corners around safety, especially on construction sites.  http://press.hse.gov.uk/2017/principal-contractor-fined-for-safety-failings/?_ga=2.24894906.1294426340.1527446457-491237689.1526974673  But as mentioned before, no doubt you will ignore good practical common sense and a professional application of Safety First. As you obviously are not competent to do this work, (otherwise you would not be asking here), and it appears you cannot afford to employ a competent person to do it on your behalf (which in reality will not be an extortionate amount in relation to the safety of others working on your site), which suggests you are attempting to undertake a project that is outside of your budget. Typically anyone undertaking work they cannot afford to do, which results in cutting corners in relation to standard industry guidance, is probably a bit of a cowboy trader. IMHO this thread is a clear example of how not to approach installing a temporary site supply and its associated earth arrangements.

Doc H. 

Of course I will I'm just trying to do as much of the work myself as I can there's no law against that it there ? 
James,

Please tell me you are just posting this for a laugh, and it is all a wind up?

There are laws against shoddy workmanship, which could pose daner to others with electricity.

As far as your comment on “there's no law against it is there?”, well, yes there is actually.

The Health and Safety at Work erc. Act 1974, is a start.

Closely followed by the Electricity At Work Regulations 1989.

Then as you mention construction, there is the Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015.

Following that there is the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.

Most of these have been amended since their publication, but, they are all still current law.

If I had time, I could give you the relevant regulations that your & your company seem to have breached as illustrated by your posts here.

Last edited by a moderator:
James,

Please tell me you are just posting this for a laugh, and it is all a wind up?

There are laws against shoddy workmanship, which could pose daner to others with electricity.

As far as your comment on “there's no law against it is there?”, well, yes there is actually.

The Health and Safety at Work erc. Act 1974, is a start.

Closely followed by the Electricity At Work Regulations 1989.

Then as you mention construction, there is the Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015.

Following that there is the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998.

Most of these have been amended since their publication, but, they are all still current law.

If I had time, I could give you the relevant regulations that your & your company seem to have breached as illustrated by your posts here.
Well time is short so try answering the question succinctly and btw the notifications have been sent to junk email so that's why the long delay I thought you electricians were making so much money you were still in the Algarve 

Well time is short so try answering the question succinctly and btw the notifications have been sent to junk email so that's why the long delay I thought you electricians were making so much money you were still in the Algarve 
Yep....according to Connections magazine £47k per year

i for one have spent the last two weeks on a golf course, with my accommodation about 800m from the beach

remember 

Bonding is for wimps, Bondage is for Gimps

just saying

I must be really bad at my job then as I've spent two hours this afternoon in my garage sweating my small but amples off stripping copper for a few beer tokens...

And I broke my stripper... 😫

Yes I bought an earth rod from Screwfix with clamp under a fiver hammered into the ground job done ✅ 
and have you tested the rod to make sure you have an earth that is good enough to work - no you firkin haven't os you don't knoe how to test a rod and don't have the test gear to do it anyway.  James, please stop trying to do work you haven't got a firkn clue about. I don't do plastering for a firkin good reason, I don't know how to do it properly, you clearly don't knoe how to do electrics properly, just looking at the **** termination of the earth into the board is enough to tell me everything I need to know about your skills in regards to electrics. As a main contractor you have serious legal liabilities for all trades working under your control, stop rying to cheapskate and get the right trades people to do the work. I'm suspecting you are winning contracts on low prices - don't waste your time on **** contracts, quote proper prices and use proper tradesmen to do the works.