Earthing Arrangment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I see it. There is no requirement for a TT earthing arrangement as the pool is within the equipotential zone.

Why waste a perfectly good earth?

As I see it. There is no requirement for a TT earthing arrangement as the pool is within the equipotential zone.

Why waste a perfectly good earth?
Not quite strictly true.

This is quite a complex design, and there are a LOT of FMEA's needed here that I don't think can be covered on an internet forum without a better description and understanding of the installation and it's requirements.

Let's take a step backwards.

You are looking to use USA sourced equipment.

Is this equipment CE marked?

If not it's illegal for sale in the EU, and YOU personally will have to certify that you GUARANTEE that it meets the requirements of the LVD, or MD as required for placing on the market in the EU.

This is NOT as easy as it first appears, IF you want to comply with the Statute Law of the Land, and BS7671 as a secondary compliance.

I hear what you are saying but it will always be the installer that needs to be sure the installation complies. Not me or you. We are just giving info as we see it.

Any info I give is my opinion. It could be wrong. Not my problem if it is.

The rest of your post is beyond my pay grade but it makes sense although the real world may have something to say about it. :)

I know the buck stops with me at the end of the day. I keep getting diffrent opinions on what is right and wrong. Some people have said I can use the main incoming earth. Others are saying it must be turned into a TT or use a centre tapping to earth of the transformer. Would using the centre tapping be a good idea in which case the transformer could be specified with this tapping. If it's not worth doing this then it can be left off the spec.

Thanks to all your replies and sorry if it's a bit vague.

It is all ce marked equipment

It is all ce marked equipment
OK it's CE marked, however, it doesn't run on IEC voltages, it used NEC voltages?

Remember the world is split into two, the IEC world & the NEC world, aka the 50Hz world & the 60Hz world.

If this equipment is CE marked, that means it is suitable for use in the EU, therefore it is suitable for use in the UK, therefore does not need any sort of transformer.

Hence why I have previously stated that your posts are giving confusing information shawn.

..... or use a centre tapping to earth of the transformer. Would using the centre tapping be a good idea in which case the transformer could be specified with this tapping. If it's not worth doing this then it can be left off the spec.

Thanks to all your replies and sorry if it's a bit vague.
See your post #14 where you said it was 3 phase in and 3 phase out. Now explain to me how you are going to design a "centre tapped earth" 3 phase transformer. and explain to me how that differs from a star transformer.

So you have a bit of US kit you claim to be CE marked that does not even come with a suitable transformer so you are having to design / specify one to use.

Sorry but you are way out of your depth. 
default_Out%20of%20depth.gif
 (appropriate smiley)

Last edited by a moderator:
You have two issues that are not connected.

1. How do you earth your installation.

Based on what you have said there appears to be no need for a TT Earth.

2. How do you install foreign equipment.

I will leave this to those better suited to answer.

You have two issues that are not connected.

1. How do you earth your installation.

Based on what you have said there appears to be no need for a TT Earth.

2. How do you install foreign equipment.

I will leave this to those better suited to answer.
A very accurate analysis of the situation.

The ce directive states electrical equipment.it does not say it must be a certain voltage.

The Low Voltage directive

has been in place since 1973 and was amended 1/97. This directive applies to all electrical equipment designed for use with a voltage rating between 50 and 1000V AC and between 75 and 1500V DC.

shawn,

You have some very odd terms that you use, along with views and understandings, this is why I for one find it extremely difficult to understand what you are trying to achieve, and what you have, and, are working with.

Surely it will be more costly to install all this "gear" than put in equipment that is suitable for UK voltages??

Then you've only got the earthing to figure out?

Really sounds like a job for canoeboy or you could ask the DNO to turn it down a bit?

Yeah I know not helpful....