EDIT -Is this Asbestos cable (new question)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark740

Reaction score
HI,

Just looking at my CU etc,

I work on the railway (signalling and control) from my experience this look to me like asbestos cable.

not sure if it was ever used in domestic premises for cabling.

Meter.jpg

or is it just fabric covered .....im not planning on disturbing it etc obviously

just curious really

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was made at 10:02 ----------

sorry just realised i didnt say which cable......i ment the DNO cable suppling the service head, wrapped in a tar/compound stuff, looks like something woven under the tar

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right there, sorry :) didn't actually take the picture with that in mind, thought about it later

There was so much stuff in the way too, sheds never seem big enough

I'm thinking roughly 1960's, does not look the best install either :)

why do people put there fuse boxes/consumer units on meter boards is it because they are to tight to buy there own.
Try that around here and you will be summarily shot at dawn, f f f f an4l about their boards here.

I once cut one of theirs down so my board would fit nicely. Shaved about 3" off it. Meter man looked at it, then at me, then at board again. I said it was a very damp property and it may have shrunk or even be one of these new metric jobbies [was a long time ago]. I even redrilled it, refitted the 'pot' spacers and 'mucked up' the cut edge! Top Job! The things they don't teach you in college these days eh?.............. :coat

I have not terminated paper insulated cable but I have lead....yes that's right its still used on lul

And you wonder why there are delays :)

We have cable all over the network that is asbestos, but we also have a glass fiber cable.

Cheers for the help guys.....PS ill take better pictures next time

May have lost the plot a bit but I'm sure I was told a while back metal service heads are now a big no no and DNOs should change them out

Ok upon looking again, i can see its a TN-S but i cant see a clamp etc , the bare eathing conductor goes down inside the tar covered sheath, is this normal practice ?

also i noticed that the lug stud on the side of the metal housing where where the bare conductor joins the new cable that bridges to the MET, is bascally less than finger tight.

Probably soldered on thats how it was originally done before they used clamps and 951 clamps maybe an idea to do a loop test to check earthing.