Eicr copper showing as it enters pendant comnection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just completed a eicr i found connections in a light fitting had not been terminated correctly and had copper visable from outside the terminal.

Far as i was away and taught that would be a c2 but im being told that its a c3 by other electrcians. Wandering what everyones opinion on this is i have tried to look it up to get a definitive decsion but everyone seems to have different opinions.
There is about 4mm of copper showing
(Was not fixed on job apon landlords request to come back to him before work is done)

And it would be almost as quick to correct the termination while you have it open, as it would be to debate about it and decide how to code it. That is my stance. But I am not in the business of generating extra work and cost for the customer.

A bit like I would be peeved if my MOT tester says "it failed on a number plate bulb" I would expect him to say "I had to change a number plate bulb and it has passed"

And it would be almost as quick to correct the termination while you have it open, as it would be to debate about it and decide how to code it. That is my stance. But I am not in the business of generating extra work and cost for the customer.

A bit like I would be peeved if my MOT tester says "it failed on a number plate bulb" I would expect him to say "I had to change a number plate bulb and it has passed"
I can see your quick to throw a dig but not quick enough to read or answer the question. Did you see the bit where i said the landlord who we ve worked with many of times said do not fix any problems you find and thats means anything simple as it may be.

But im not in the buiness of ignoreing what the customer has asked for. Id be pissed off if i asked my mot guy to not change my tyres if the treads low then he done it anyway and charged me👍👍

I can see your quick to throw a dig but not quick enough to read or answer the question. Did you see the bit where i said the landlord who we ve worked with many of times said do not fix any problems you find and thats means anything simple as it may be.

But im not in the buiness of ignoreing what the customer has asked for. Id be pissed off if i asked my mot guy to not change my tyres if the treads low then he done it anyway and charged me👍👍
It's not a dig, it's an opinion. Would you really bother charging for 5 mins to reterminate? For regular customers I would just do this sort of thing anyway, along with sticking missing warning signs on Consumer Units, like quarterly RCD test notice or mixed wiring colours.

It's not a dig, it's an opinion. Would you really bother charging for 5 mins to reterminate? For regular customers I would just do this sort of thing anyway, along with sticking missing warning signs on Consumer Units, like quarterly RCD test notice or mixed wiring colours.
I would yes for your average customer but this perticular one doesnt work like that he d rather we come back out of my control

So what do you consider is the immediate or potential danger to users of the installation?
From what ive always been taught any copper showing was a big no no and my previous companys have always stated as a c2 giveing the reason that if someone was to take it off and had a fiddle theres a high chance of getting zapped but you could say that about anything.

Just where ive moved company i classed it as a c2 and its started a big conversation. Just wandered what everyone thought ive tried to look it up and seemed like a interesting question seems to be on the border between c2 and a c3 considering the unlikely hood that someone would actually touch it and more just very poor workmenship from the newbuild lads

If you are carrying out EICRs you should have sufficient experience and knowledge to make a decision without looking it up or asking on the internet.

If you are carrying out EICRs you should have sufficient experience and knowledge to make a decision without looking it up or asking on the internet.

Whilst intend to agree with you there are times when seeking opinions can build on your knowledge

The main problem is we have regulations that are far too open to interpretation AND little guidance available.

Even the CPS assessors can’t agree with each other

1. Just a question no one knows everything.
2. Not that i dont know just i like getting 2nd opinions on matters when multiple different sparkies have different opinions on one matter.
3. Its just a question if no one ever questioned anything no one would learn.
4.your so clever just answer it and stop being one of these people to pridefull and acting like your gods gift to the trade . Your the problem trying to gatekeep a trade so you get more people that dont like to ask questions and the quality of work goes to shit

2. Not that i dont know just i like getting 2nd opinions on matters when multiple different sparkies have different opinions on one matter.
4.your so clever just answer it and stop being one of these people to pridefull and acting like your gods gift to the trade . Your the problem trying to gatekeep a trade so you get more people that dont like to ask questions and the quality of work goes to shit

The problem with the member in question, is that he has a tendency to sit on the fence rather than offer their opinion

Not sure a C2 is warranted, so a C3 and if it was the only issue I’d probably remedy it on the spot
As i said the landlord we work for is a nightmare dont know if he goes through insurance or somthing but years of working for him he would rather us tell him faults simple as a sticker not being present then us fix it on the spot. A very strange man

my previous companys have always stated as a c2 giveing the reason that if someone was to take it off and had a fiddle theres a high chance of getting zapped but you could say that about anything

So were your previous company an advocate of live working???

No one should remove any cover or open any accessory exposing any live part without first safely isolating the source of supply.

If someone chose to take a lamp out of a lamp holder there are a pair of conductive parts visible.. and with several lamp types enough space to poke a finger in if you were daft enough to do so!

With all normal covers in place, if all cable termination live parts are inaccessible, I cannot see how there can be any potential or immediate danger???

It isn't for me to answer you are the one compiling the Report based on what you have observed. I have trained and mentored countless people but they are only let lose on their own if they are sufficiently competent. The question you are asking is quite rudimentary.

It isn't for me to answer you are the one compiling the Report based on what you have observed. I have trained and mentored countless people but they are only let lose on their own if they are sufficiently competent. The question you are asking is quite rudimentary.
Ive asked a question about me questioning why some sparkys are saying c2 and some c3. I simply wanted to know what other peoples opinion was on the matter. And from your responses id guess you dont know the answer so you ve chose to tell world your a tutor who is to busy complaining about people asking others opinion then just giveing a answer

Ive asked a question about me questioning why some sparkys are saying c2 and some c3. I simply wanted to know what other peoples opinion was on the matter. And from your responses id guess you dont know the answer so you ve chose to tell world your a tutor who is to busy complaining about people asking others opinion then just giveing a answer
Would need to see a picture to cast an opinion. Make a decision it isn't relevant what other electricians say it is your opinion based on engineering judgement.
I am not a tutor.