EICR Question from Domestic Customer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ so are you going to tell us the full story..... I simply don't believe that a contractor would threaten court action for non payment when they haven't presented an invoice and the EICR...

The "story" as you like to call it  was  partly as shown as in post 7

the customer at the time of requesting the report made clear that time was of the essence, as a baby was due in a few months hence getting all building work completed ASAP . He suspects that as the period shortly after report completion was interrupted by holidays and Xmas, it was just missed and the customer was left dangling. Customer received advice from other qualified electricians and went ahead with them.Now the original contractor wants his money.

To add some flesh to the bones the contractor was met on site  to quote for some building work as well as an EICR, No estimates verbal or written were given at the time. Nothing was heard for over 5 and half weeks, attempts to contact were unsuccessful, then an invoice for £383 turned up ( 2 hours on site time) , just an invoice for the EICR, no estimates, either for building work or the EICR. Obviously, the customer who already was seeking other quotes by this time for building and electrical work was advised by a very competent electrician that it was clear that the existing installation was dangerous and should be condemned and only recourse was for a full rewire. On looking back and the requirements of a modern installation  this solution was obvious, but to a layman possibly not so.Time elapsed and the customer offered to pay £191 to cover the electricians time , the original report was no longer relevant as the work was now in the hands of new contractors and has never been sent..This offer was refused and any attempts to reach a settlement to resolve the dispute was also refused.The contractor is now passing to small claims for £498. Customer never did receive any estimates for building or electrical work.

If and I say IF the contractor takes the client to the small claims court, the judge will look at written statements from both parties before any "actual" court action.

The claiment is saying he's owed money

The home owner says he's not received the invoice or report...

The claiment will be ordered to provide both documents....

The home owner will be expected to pay up

end of case.

Murdoch, can you point out to me please  where I said that the customer had NOT received the invoice ???

My customer was charged  £383 for a 2 hour site visit, never received either report OR  invoice and is now being taken to court for  non payment. I do not carry out such work, hence seeking words of wisdom from you guys.

Murdoch, can you point out to me please  where I said that the customer had NOT received the invoice ???

post #5

I'll send you my invoice @Murdoch for doing your job for you,,,   ;)

Ok ..hands up... I dropped off. You Got Me.....but in all honesty do you think 5 and a half weeks for an invoice and no report is "reasonable".....would you guys be happy with that ?

Ok ..hands up... I dropped off. You Got Me.....but in all honesty do you think 5 and a half weeks for an invoice and no report is "reasonable".....would you guys be happy with that ?

Hum... not good by some cowboys do with hold the certs until payment is made...

FWIW I send the invoice and cert together.. as I don't think its reasonable to provide the invoice without the report!

Hum... not good by some cowboys do with hold the certs until payment is made...

FWIW I send the invoice and cert together.. as I don't think its reasonable to provide the invoice without the report!

I generally do the same,

although,

if I have doubts about payment I do occasionally send the invoice prior, I wouldnt hold the cert if the client asks for it, and so far, its always worked out ok that the payment has been made as the customer has taken the idea that they need to produce payment to get the cert.

your story is constantly changing

so did they actually do an EICR but not give the report or just spend 2 hours on site pricing the job then sending an invoice for that?

your story is constantly changing

so did they actually do an EICR but not give the report or just spend 2 hours on site pricing the job then sending an invoice for that?

Sorry Andy if you think the "story" keeps changing....the full facts are laid out in #24.....they spent 2 hours on site compiling an EICR....for which an invoice was received,..eventually, but NOT the report.....that is all......no job ...nothing else.

whats your involvment in all this? owner? spark who done the other work? spark who done EICR then sent invoice only? other?

Last edited by a moderator:
Carry out NICEIC electrical inspection & test of the fixed wiring & accessories...........£383.52 incl of VAT

well if they do take it to court, simply remind them that they havent given the report therefore they have not done the work thats on the invoice

but still, best option would be doorstep selling. unless they give you the required paperwork then they have no chance

That quote was taken direct from the invoice. 

According to their website they " started business in 1983 initially an electrical installation company in the domestic and light commercial sectors but soon grew to include plumbing and heating"...it appears they have evolved via 4 company names over the years into what appears on the website to be a fair sized company.....as to the tickets that the individual spark has I have no idea..

The boss dealing with the customer and hence court case says the electrician that carried out the EICR "was not authorised to make promises on when the certificate was to be delivered and it was standard pracice for the construction industry not to send out the certificate until the certified work had been paid for ."

Thanks for the  advice  Andy and to  all above who have posted....to assist customer  will gen up on Consumers Acts just in case.