Electric shock in kitchen

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Called to a house where the customer had plugged in a microwave, put his arms down each side to lift it onto a shelf & got a tingle........

kitchen fitters had re-used old cable to run pelmet lights & a spured socket (the microwave was in the spur socket)

Not a fantastic picture (Blackberry camera is pants) but; spur socket cpc cutoff, csa of cable to spur socket is 1mm, csa of cable to ligts 1.5mm, double socket is a spur in its own right from ring main

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/gazjothomas/IMG00108-20120315-1441.jpg

Anyway while there the fella says

"we have to remember not to turn on the oven & touch the taps at the same time........ I got a hell of a shock when I last did."

Turned oven on put meter between draining board & oven metal work......oohhhhhhhh look 240v. I found the oven switch hidden in the back of a tall cupboard, load side cpc unsleeved & not connected to terminal, but it was in contact with the over stripped line conductor.

No certs/no rcd/non harmonised cables used, work done 3 years ago.

I do have the kitchen fitting company trading name & customer is calling them in the morning.

The work was done 3 years ago and hes only just got a belt.
No not a recent belt ( i'm sure he said it was Jan/feb last year), thats why as a family they had to remember not to be in contact with both items at the same time.

Who ever does this work and leaves it in such a way that some one can get killed need shooting or prison. If it was me I would not be able to sleep at night.

Agree PC

I shall see if the customer gets any joy with the complaint to fitting company. I googled the name & there are loads of complaints about them in reviews.

Release the name!!! What an absolute disgrace once again...... I'm sick and tired of coming across work done by other trades.... Absolutely sick of it!

I will post the company name that the customer gave me but only if admin & mods are ok with it going on view.

Is it just me who is wondering what kind of person finds a situation where you get an electric shock of any magnitude irrespective of who is to blame....

And does precisely nothing about it except inform his family to not switch something on while touching something else?!?!

If that's the case, what a complete tool!

Can you imagine that court case...

Yes m'lud my child died by electrocution when he forgot to not touch a when using b, a fault he has known about for two months m'lud however it's the installers fault really....

Is it just me who is wondering what kind of person finds a situation where you get an electric shock of any magnitude irrespective of who is to blame....And does precisely nothing about it except inform his family to not switch something on while touching something else?!?!

If that's the case, what a complete tool!

Can you imagine that court case...

Yes m'lud my child died by electrocution when he forgot to not touch a when using b, a fault he has known about for two months m'lud however it's the installers fault really....
I agree I stood there gob smacked, it didnt hit home with him until I showed him the reading on the meter..............

Ok but if Admin & mods dont agree please feel free to remove the name.

Space kitchens so the customer said.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree I stood there gob smacked, it didnt hit home with him until I showed him the reading on the meter..............Ok but if Admin & mods dont agree please feel free to remove the name.

Space kitchens so the customer said.
I don't see how admin could remove it, it's protecting our trade ....

I just looked them up and come across this

BBC One - Don't Get Done Get Dom, Series 4, Space Kitchens

That ***** Dom little **** has gone after them like a Rottweiler then turned into a poodle when he meets them!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What I have found its seems to be more professional people that let things go. Had an ex architect getting a belt of a shower which was because the seal had gone round the shower and water was running into a joint box below it this had been going on for quite a while. Lucky he or his wife didn't get killed as from the frame to earth was 220 volts. Now this installation was fed through a voltage operated trip. You warn people of the dangers of the likes of old trips but I imagine it is still there now quite a few years later.