Electrical Danger Notice!!! Client Seriously Not Happy

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if I can get to work tomorrow without using my van...??

Gotta get to Coventry 140 mile away....mmmmmmm!!!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was made at 20:11 ----------

No mention of Steptoes bike..... Must be one of those Disney princess electric ones...... ROTFWL

I'm with batts on this one. without a ir test, how do you know cable is dangerous? missing insulation maybe?
been asked to alter several vir conduit jobs, haven't been able to do to many of them. as soon as you start bending virs that have been under a considerable load they just fall to bits. should really refuse to touch them. ?

been asked to alter several vir conduit jobs, haven't been able to do to many of them. as soon as you start bending virs that have been under a considerable load they just fall to bits. should really refuse to touch them. ?
i wont work on VIR. either it gets replaced or they ge someone else

Hi All,

On the MOT/insurance theme...

Firstly, there are lots of vehicles that are exempt from mot tests as has been pointed out.

Secondly, unless they have changed the law recently, it is NOT NOT NOT a condition of insurance that you have an MOT. The insurers can write what they like on your policy it has NO basis in law....

There is, or used to be, a section of the RTA's that dealt with this. There were, and presumably still are, a whole load of things that by law CANNOT be used as an "excuse" to void your insurance. Condition of the vehicle, size of engine, modifications, you having a licence etc were just some of them....

Think of it, suppose you had a rebore, the insurers would just try to refuse to pay out on the grounds you had made the engine bigger!!

What the insurers can do though, despite the rubbish they write in the policy, [and by this i mean they WOULD have to meet third party claims, despite what they might like to think] they WOULD sue you to recover the money they had spent out. As they have greater resources to employ lawyers than the average person [to sue you with] you would be better off if you had no insurance!!!!

As has been pointed out, what about taking your car for an MOT???? Good one!! i would not have thought of that.

As has also been pointed out, BY LAW you DO NOT actually need insurance. All you have to do is to deposit an amount with the high court [it used to be

So apprentice, you can legally drive your vehicle on public road, insured, without MOT... Is that what your saying?

I suspect Steps bike is insured to race at the IOM TT! ;) Think about it...
yep, and during certain dates it is legally allowed to be used on the open roads/public highway under certain circumstances,

to get to/or from the course, pits,paddock or workshop area,

a few years ago there was actually a sidecar racer that finished his race after the roads had opened to the public,

as the outfit was so low and hard to see he had a marshall in front and behind him for safety reasons.

Yeah pretty much that sharpend, so probably around 1% of vehicles that don't need it!,,

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:33 ----------

Andy, ya been picky....!!! And picking out small facts that are a bit like saying murder is illegal unless it's midnight in Wales and it involves apples and crossbows or whatever the stupid loophole is .....!!

Yeah pretty much that sharpend, so probably around 1% of vehicles that don't need it!,,
quite possibly only 1% or even less

but there are a large category of vehicles that are MOT exempt

recovery trucks for a start

and cherry pickers. and you can in some cases use red diesel for them too

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:36 ----------

Andy, ya been picky....!!! And picking out small facts that are a bit like saying murder is illegal unless it's midnight in Wales and it involves apples and crossbows or whatever the stupid loophole is .....!!
im not being picky. the simple fact is, you can legally drive on a vehicle on a road without insurance

not sure what the amount is, but im sure its a lot more tha the

So getting back to relating it to enforcing EICR's to householders, what houses shall we make exempt? Maybe any house hold that owns a non-MOT'able vehicle .... Or cherry picker....!

well, like I said in post 69, I actually possess 2 such vehicles, and you dont need to have passed a DVLA test either to use them on open public roads!

so, what are the odds of you meeting the owner of some of the 1% of vehicles in the UK on an electricians internet forum?

Shed this is taken direct from the Financial ombudsman who regulate the insurance companies. Please don't provide mis-information about a car not having a valid MOT being uninsured as this is clearly not the case.

Most motor policies contain an express requirement that the vehicle must be maintained in a roadworthy state. If so, where there is good evidence that the loss or damage was caused (or substantially contributed to) because the vehicle was unroadworthy, we are likely to consider it fair for the insurer to reject the claim.

In other cases, the insurer might reduce the payout on the basis that the vehicle was not in good condition. If so, where there is good evidence that the vehicle would have failed an MOT test, we are likely to consider it fair for the insurer to take this into account in assessing its value.

If your car is roadworthy and has no MOT, (believe it or not people do forget when thier MOT is due)the insurance company are obliged to pay out, they may reduce the amount slightly but will still pay out.

Finally, this is a very important point to remember: an MOT only indicates roadworthiness on the day of the test. How many people have valid MOTs but are driving around on bald tyres for example?

Graham, as discussed the mot thing doesn't look to me like it covers your everyday vehicle that you and I may use to get around.... As per Andys post of exempt vehicles.... The point was taken that there are exemptions but not in my opinion of day to day vehicles.... How do these people with no mot tax their vehicles then? You can insure it without mot I agree but you would not be driving it around on the roads as you'd have to declare sorn would you not? The old bill would give you a fixed penalty notice as per the direct gov website so I fail to see how what your saying is correct, I'm not saying your wrong I'm right , i just can't seehow you would get away with it....

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:58 ----------

Maybe we should be on a petrol heads forum!

---------- Post Auto-Merged 28th February 2012 at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was made 27th February 2012 at 23:59 ----------

Doc will be on us soon!! .... Erm, I'm moving your thread to another forum guys as I fail to see the relevance that this has with electrical installation in the 21st century.... The fact of the matter is.....blah di blah ...

And before we know it thread appears at pistons heads forum ....hehe:innocent

How do these people with no mot tax their vehicles then? You can insure it without mot I agree but you would not be driving it around on the roads as you'd have to declare sorn would you not? The old bill would give you a fixed penalty notice as per the direct gov website so I fail to see how what your saying is correct, I'm not saying your wrong I'm right , i just can't seehow you would get away with it....
you tax the vehicle by ticking the 'MOT exempt' box on the tax form, and supplying relevant proof it is exempt, then pay your money.

if its MOT exepmt, then the vehicle does not need an MOT.

so how can you now say that because it doesnt need an MOT then it cant be driven and must be decalred SORN?

new cars are MOT exepmt for the first 3 years. maybe you should park all them up and declare them SOPN until they are 3 years old and require an MOT

Status
Not open for further replies.