Electrical Installation Condition Report - Bathroom light

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its about £150 up my way, Manchester, but I can usually do a 3 bed semi in half a day, that is providing no nasties are lurking, C1 I usually get agreement to fix as I go along, so  no extra visit charge, just the additional cost of the work, if going to be a lot then quick phone call to landlord usually sorts it.  

Most of my EICRs are repeat landlords, or direct recommendation, so I'd be a fool to try and 'make' work or bump the job.

Council push prices down so much, only rough work makes a margin

Depends what sort of council work you do, I assume you are referring to housebashing. I used to do loads of commercial new build and maintenance/refurb. Yes prices were keen but the work was far from rough.

£225 for up to 8 circuits BUT I always visit site before agreeing a price.....

I don't do many EICR's... And I certainly don't go in cheap to get extra work.

Depends what sort of council work you do, I assume you are referring to housebashing. I used to do loads of commercial new build and maintenance/refurb. Yes prices were keen but the work was far from rough.
the house bashing is dreadful - surface re-wires.

Commercial isn't as bad, seems to fall under different budgets, but still very tight, and so standards are slipping to lowest possible to just scrape through regs.

All the bashing round here gets done by foreign types with a fetishism for mini trunking... 

Dunno who does the comercial stuff but it's all galvanised conduit and tray for that hipster look. 

I also note that they make some horrendous courgette ups in terms of the design and being the council if it stops working they just leave it...

All the bashing round here gets done by foreign types with a fetishism for mini trunking... 

Dunno who does the comercial stuff but it's all galvanised conduit and tray for that hipster look. 

I also note that they make some horrendous courgette ups in terms of the design and being the council if it stops working they just leave it..
I note you've seen our local council.cctv system then as the cameras fail they get left and not repaired or replaced typical council i think 

there was famous local case (famous in Devon at least) whereby the regular council contractors couldn't work out how they were being undercut all the time? Turns out the dodgy git concerned was crimping new cable onto old and replacing the accesories, with a bit of plaster over the dodgy joins just up the wall a bit....

I don't do much council work bar some special project stuff via a 3rd party, but what I see is getting worse and worse.

there was famous local case (famous in Devon at least) whereby the regular council contractors couldn't work out how they were being undercut all the time? Turns out the dodgy git concerned was crimping new cable onto old and replacing the accesories, with a bit of plaster over the dodgy joins just up the wall a bit....

I don't do much council work bar some special project stuff via a 3rd party, but what I see is getting worse and worse.
A mate of mine got done with a house like that, he bought it and was told it had been rewired, the surveyors report said the wiring was fine too. About 8 years later he decides to do a major redecorating job, while he's at it he's going to add new sockets and change light fittings, he strips every room in the house and buys all the new stuff to go in, he gets me round to add the new sockets and that's when he found he had major issues.

The sockets were fairly new as were the switches and pendants, they all had new cable behind them, the trouble was that below each socket was a short section of loose board and below this was a joint box. The previous owner had replaced the sockets, back boxes and a short length of cable, he'd jointed this into the existing rubber below the floor,Que one very rapid and unplanned rewire.

Someone talking about cost of EICR's   .  Remembering I'm now semi retired , for what I refer to as the standard 3/4 bed semis in my area  or the town houses ...Its £180 .    Don't charge VAT anymore .    Probably take me 5 hours because I don't   can't rush anymore .

Always bothers me when people claim to have steam in their bathrooms without realising how dangerous real steam can be for causing quite serious burns

I have always found the water vapour found in bathrooms only becomes a problem when it condenses