Electrician or Electrical Engineer?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrishornby

Reaction score
Just been looking through the internet at jobs and I think I should have maybe done an Electrical Engineering degree instead. Also 3 yrs and higher salary? I was wondering if anyone else, given their time again, would switch?

Do we have Electrical Graduates or students on the forum?

A-levels in maths and physics is a must or a BTEC in Electrical Engineering to get you onto that course.

I am an Adult Learner, as they are now called. :)

I wouldn't have been able to do an Electrical Engineering Degree, my maths isn't up to A-Level standards! :(

All the guys(well most) are pretty switched on and so are all other sparks that I've met.

Did try to put a poll on here to see if it would be G&G 2330 or earlier equivalent or degree. Didn't appear on the thread...maybe not the degree option for me then!?!

:coat

All the guys(well most) are pretty switched on and so are all other sparks that I've met. Did try to put a poll on here to see if it would be G&G 2330 or earlier equivalent or degree. Didn't appear on the thread...maybe not the degree option for me then!?!

Don't put yourself down! If you want to go for Electrical Engineering then go for it!

A passed 2360 cannot be a bad way to start it afterall!

All the guys(well most) are pretty switched on and so are all other sparks that I've met. Did try to put a poll on here to see if it would be G&G 2330 or earlier equivalent or degree. Didn't appear on the thread...maybe not the degree option for me then!?!

A levels are not what they used to be, and mathcad will sort out your abacus problems.

Just been looking through the internet at jobs and I think I should have maybe done an Electrical Engineering degree instead. Also 3 yrs and higher salary? I was wondering if anyone else, given their time again, would switch?Do we have Electrical Graduates or students on the forum?
Qualifications - ONC/HNC/HNC Endorsements/BSc Hons in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. 20 years as post grad design engineer. Current occupation - self employed Sparky.

Love this job - I get to meet nice people who are pleased to see me (Engineering can be very solitary sometimes), I don't have to deal with managers who have more attitude than knowledge or Personnel Departments or Mission Statements and it lets me live in the area that I want to live. Engineering in the South West is in a shocking state - very few vacancies or opportunities. Engineering will give you a higher wage - but you have to go where the work is which can disrupt your family.

Short term - if you are academically up to it and willing to travel Engineering could be a good option. If you want a more portable and enjoyable job on a lesser salary - then Electrician pushes the right buttons.

Controversial - but Electrician is only a small subset of electrical engineering. You can go from Electrical Engineer to Electrician relatively easily - you can't do it the other way around!

Hope this helps (but I doubt it has!)

Qualifications - ONC/HNC/HNC Endorsements/BSc Hons in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. 20 years as post grad design engineer. Current occupation - self employed Sparky. Love this job - I get to meet nice people who are pleased to see me (Engineering can be very solitary sometimes), I don't have to deal with managers who have more attitude than knowledge or Personnel Departments or Mission Statements and it lets me live in the area that I want to live. Engineering in the South West is in a shocking state - very few vacancies or opportunities. Engineering will give you a higher wage - but you have to go where the work is which can disrupt your family.

Short term - if you are academically up to it and willing to travel Engineering could be a good option. If you want a more portable and enjoyable job on a lesser salary - then Electrician pushes the right buttons.

Controversial - but Electrician is only a small subset of electrical engineering. You can go from Electrical Engineer to Electrician relatively easily - you can't do it the other way around!

Hope this helps (but I doubt it has!)
well put Dave!Applaud Smiley

completely agree.

I did onc, hnc and degree. My sister and brother-in-law were also electrical/electronic engineers (degree/hnd) before emigrating.

All depends what your after - money and nothing else go the degree route. If you want flexibility, enjoyment, no crap or politics of a large company, and want to think you've achieved something then go self employed :)

Well said Dave I too have various differant degrees awarded all over the place, but got out due to of years of politicking and to use vernacular bul**** and management crap from accountants

reminds me of two golden rules in business (well my two)

1) Never work for an MD who is an accountant

2) Never ever, ever work for a company who's sales Director is an accountant

either way your just a number :_| , and on those lines Human Resource pah!! (what like oil, gas are resources) no I'm a person X( X(

Sorry got into a rant :coat

hey, im in process of trying to convert from electrical engineer to electrician...but finding it hard though! but so me electrician is much more satisfying, although there are downsides, they outweigh sitting at a desk mostly in an office where peopl dont say what they mean and its all focussed on Money money money! not that moneys bad, just rather have job i can say i enjoy, so untill become sparky, making cash as handyman!

ive been thinking about the engineering degree route also. ive finished my apprenticeship and ive been working fully qualified for about a year, although i have had experience prior to this working with my dad. i have an as level in physics, but never finished it as a full a level.

ive been looking at course material from my friends electrical engineering course and i think it not that bigger jump from the more advanced stuff you where taught at tech, its more about concentration than being intelligent, if you can grasp the more advanced electrical calcs from tech, u can build it up from there, electricans are not stupid, its just a case of perseverence and finding the cash to pay for a course while working.

Latest posts