Electrician's pay ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do we question so much??

What does it really matter whether they give you one figure or a breakdown with many figures that add up to the one figure, the fact is you are either happy with the price or not! 

Who's to say the breakdown is an honest breakdown anyway? Ok so those of us in a trade may be a little more wise on pricing and or products from other trades but to the average person who knows no different would a breakdown really make much difference? They are not going to pay for some of the individual items and expect the full job are they? 

Did a consumer unit for friend of family,

Lady- how much for a new consumer unit

Pewter - £350 parts and labour

Lady - I have seen them in BQ for £40, thats a good days wage

Pewter - Metal unit £90, tails + earth £30, Cable entry gland £10, stuffing glands £10,Earth block £5 BC notification and insurance £5 =£150 materials total

Lady - oh i didnt realise.

Some times i list a ton of stuff and a total just so they are aware im using good gear, what there is, and that i am upgrading what is worth changing.

Did a consumer unit for friend of family,

Lady- how much for a new consumer unit

Pewter - £350 parts and labour

Lady - I have seen them in BQ for £40, thats a good days wage

Pewter - Metal unit £90, tails + earth £30, Cable entry gland £10, stuffing glands £10,Earth block £5 BC notification and insurance £5 =£150 materials total

Lady - oh i didnt realise.

Some times i list a ton of stuff and a total just so they are aware im using good gear, what there is, and that i am upgrading what is worth changing.

Its like those misleading adverts for bathrooms and kitchens from the sheds - buy a new kitchen for £xxxx.xx - but no labour, no plastering, no electrics, no tiles or tiling, no flooring, no painting, no skip, .......................

Its like those misleading adverts for bathrooms and kitchens from the sheds - buy a new kitchen for £xxxx.xx - but no labour, no plastering, no electrics, no tiles or tiling, no flooring, no painting, no skip, .......................

Then you get the Thursday afternoon phone call - "I've got a kitchen being delivered Monday and the flooring guy is here Tuesday so can you just ........."

bit like wednesdays, need a power shower connected, bathroom fitters sparky has let them down. it wont take long. er... 10.8kw electric shower, complete new circuit from other side of house, cant fit into existing CU so need to split tails & fit mini CU.... on the plus side, plumber has left a bit rope from shower into loft...

Then you get the Thursday afternoon phone call - "I've got a kitchen being delivered Monday and the flooring guy is here Tuesday so can you just ........."
I had one of those recently.

"the other electrician is off sick, the kitchen needs rewiring before the floor goes back down tomorrow"

10.8kw electric shower, complete new circuit from other side of house, cant fit into existing CU so need to split tails & fit mini CU

For some reason I keep recommending CU upgrades instead. Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and do it like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes binks but realistically how many door step sellers really abide by this and how many customers really know about this?
scam merchants -  very few, customers - not that many, apart from those who don't like paying bills who then use it as an excuse for not paying or offer half the money