Eurovision.....am I missing something?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it started, there was just 'the song'. Black and white TV, no movement allowed, no dancing, no support singers, the orchestra was the same. Even the jury couldn't see who was singing and they judged just the song. Now it's all about the overall presentation; choreography, song, dancing, technical production it's more than a song.

IIRC the BBC had to develop a lot of new kit and skills to broadcast the last coronation, and this leap in technology was then utilised with additions for the first Eurovision contest in the mid 1950s

It's a fancy song and dance 'talent' show, no harm in that, but like the OP I don't see what the hype is about.

It's rare that a non-English language song makes the charts or gets airtime in the UK, the language barrier means there's naturally not much interest in Eurovision from the UK. Best bit was Wogan poking fun at it all, his successor isn't as good I feel.

It does irritate me that along with a few other countries we have to subsidise the whole thing, not very fair imho.

Interesting point about the technology for the coronation, makes sense. I reckon we are long past the need for this driving our subsidy now, I vote we put it on ITV and pay for it with commercials, preferably with some cutting over the 'songs' ;-) then the licence fee can be reduced a bit! Or a more equitable way might be to use Euromillions funding? Or maybe some product placement, hmm, the future of Eurovision is ripe for change...

We should be able to vote for our own country's song if so desired, just factor the no. of votes according to population size so it's not distorted.

Personally I might vote with my feet!

The negative comments on this thread pretty much sum up what's wrong with the Eurovision in the UK. It is absolutely huge in mainland Europe and guess what, its getting bigger. If you don't get it or don't see the hype it's your problem. I love it.

The negative comments on this thread pretty much sum up what's wrong with the Eurovision in the UK. It is absolutely huge in mainland Europe and guess what, its getting bigger. If you don't get it or don't see the hype it's your problem. I love it.
It's pretty big here, however I prefer music of a more rock/ punk nature, so most of the acts aren't interesting to me.

Having said that I'm watching the semi finals and liking the stage show and the freaky Croatian entry 😵‍💫

I love the sexy costumes the females wear. I love the effects, the overall sound, the atmosphere it generates. Some of the songs are not very good, but a lot are. There is the odd metal now and again.

I love the sexy costumes the females wear. I love the effects, the overall sound, the atmosphere it generates. Some of the songs are not very good, but a lot are. There is the odd metal now and again.
Your last two posts suggest you are on medication.

Perhaps surprisingly I have no problem with people enjoying it, and I do hope some do, we're paying enough for the pleasure after all;)

For me the enforced hype about it is part of what makes me not want to watch it - if you have to make a song and dance act about a song and dance act then there's something amiss with it in the first place :)

anyways, enough said, I'm afraid eurovision is a pet hate of mine, the grumping is mostly meant to be tongue in cheek and sarcastically humourous, hopefully it comes across like that.

I watched a bit of the semi's last night, the singer and dancers where in all red, now whilst the dancing and sexy costumes where eye catching the singing was appalling, is that the best that country can offer, did not bother to find out what country it was and will not watch anymore.

I'm not a fan of Eurovision either. The only one I liked was when in all the la la type songs, what looked like a bunch of Klingons came on the stage. That was Lordi doing their Arockalypse. They won too. :)

It a bit like ‘worlds got talent’ with no golden buzzer or red buzzers come to that.
A total waste of time as our music is a world away from theirs so what’s the point?

That Kate Bird playing piano was the best bit imo .
That Bird? That looks like Brendan Rogers that hates Britain and came last but one was the funniest part !

Important? Nope. Or at least only self-important like award shows for the super rich/famous.

Entertainment? Yes. If that is your kind of thing.