EV point to share?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not going to install this but a customer asked me this.

Small block of flats and one resident wants an ev charge point. The communal board is the most accessible so is there a product on the market that could be used which could split the bill between say 2 users so they only paid for the use?

They would rather not have a product that is managed by a 3rd party for an ongoing fee.

Thanks

There are a number of third party back office solutions on the market for managing EV charging but I think they all charge a fee for processing the charges and payments. With anything communal I don't see a way around it unless one of the chargepoint manufacturers has something that will monitor the charge use of each user and the bill is then split
With back office software it would be possible to allow other EV users to charge their vehicles at a cost which would cover any back office costs, I have not gone into it too deeply but from talking to a few manufacturers it is possible to configure it with different charge costs for each user or user group so it may be best to talk directly to a manufacturer or two for the optimal solution

not very flexible for future expansion, but maybe a 2x key switches, contactor & meters, each user who turns their key on powers the unit through their contactor / meter, meter readings can be taken against each user/meter?

Not going to install this but a customer asked me this.

Small block of flats and one resident wants an ev charge point. The communal board is the most accessible so is there a product on the market that could be used which could split the bill between say 2 users so they only paid for the use?

They would rather not have a product that is managed by a 3rd party for an ongoing fee.

Thanks
It would be easy enough to do with a couple of power meters and keyswitches to short one or the other CT's out.