Expanding an existing PV array - impact on FIT

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WitlessWonder

Reaction score
I apologise, I couldn't find a meaningful search tool so do tell me to "do one" if this has already been asked! :)

I have an existing PV array on FIT. I'd like to get more panels, be it expanding the existing or as a wholley separate set-up with it's own invertor. The key naturally is to not disrupt the FiT agreement I have. I am in tendering phase and the 1st contractor made no reference to this being an issue, the 2nd said there was literally no way around it and you can only have 1 array at a property so the loss of my FiT agreement is assured.

Could I ask if there is a concensus on this forum please?

Every time you submit a reading for your FIT you have to declare that you haven't modified your system. I believe that if you DO modify it you will cancel your FIT agreement.

Geoff - thanks, no intention to modify but if I have to it'll defo not be until after notifying/requesting from Fit administrator

Murdoch - maybe, but I can't find any regulation that backs it up and knowing Contractor 1 would be surprised he wasn't aware of such a critical restriction. Edit: sorry, missed your question - I don't want to modify it but Contractor 2 is saying it has to come off Fit simply by adding the separate 2nd system

Last edited:
modify any existing system that has FiT, and the FiT provider will cancel any payments. You can replace broken panels or a failed inverter, but beyond that you defiently need permission to alter the system from the FiT provider, and that usually results in 'NO' for an answer as they do not like paying out FiT money. The phrase 'miserable money grabbing barstewards' springs to mind, especially after all the hassle we have had getting customers system registered before a FiT drop in the past, and all the really feeble excuses they used to try and push customers onto the lower FiT rate.

So you can add a second system without risking the FiT, which would onlt need to meet DNO permissions.

modify any existing system that has FiT, and the FiT provider will cancel any payments. You can replace broken panels or a failed inverter, but beyond that you defiently need permission to alter the system from the FiT provider, and that usually results in 'NO' for an answer as they do not like paying out FiT money. The phrase 'miserable money grabbing barstewards' springs to mind, especially after all the hassle we have had getting customers system registered before a FiT drop in the past, and all the really feeble excuses they used to try and push customers onto the lower FiT rate.

So you can add a second system without risking the FiT, which would onlt need to meet DNO permissions.
Cheers Binky, really appreciate your input as it seemed totally at odds to anything I could find online about not being allowed a 2nd PV system. Contractor #2 is very competent also so I'm unsure why they take this stance and to what benefit

Money, why else. Change an entire system and charge more. F what the customer really needs :eek:
Interesting to know what fit payment you get and if you have capacity to add battery along with extra panels and use something Like An Octopus tariff ie flux etc

Interesting to know what fit payment you get and if you have capacity to add battery along with extra panels and use something Like An Octopus tariff ie flux etc
I get the most it ever offered so with inflation around 70p kW but to level off the smugness back then there were hefty margins involved on the install.

I think it's a hard No to adding capacity/optimisers/better panels, I believe they don't have a right to decline me adding a battery but am happy to be corrected and will be having that dialogue before I do.

Good point, that's on the list to look as I'm a bit dumb when it comes to all this. I've got Octopus installing a smart meter end of the month with a view to getting on tracker tariff (losing that lovely backward spinning dial on the existing meter) but recognise there may now be better options if I commit to a better scaled solar setup than I currently have (variable tariff to benefit from offpeak charging of battery in winter, one that allows export etc.). Will feedback but any views gratefully received

As long as you don't mess with the fit array, it's safe. Not sure about changing to a hybrid inverter, I've not been down that route, but wouldn't do that without contacting the FiT provider first- I would be inclined to tell them the inverter has failed, and get in writing any promise if keeping the fit.

However, there's nothing to stop an AC battery system and/ or extra panels or changing the tariff you are on.

I think it's a hard No to adding capacity/optimisers/better panels, I believe they don't have a right to decline me adding a battery but am happy to be corrected and will be having that dialogue before I do.
I have a FIT pv system and quite recently added an AC coupled inverter and 15kWh of batteries, nothing in the FIT agreement to stop you doing this. I also got in touch with my FIT energy supplier and removed my export payment from the agreement in favour of Octopus who pay better rates ;) I left the FIT agreement payments for each kWh generated with the original Fit supplier as it was easier than moving it.
Edit: I was on 6p/kWh for export with FIT :(

I get the most it ever offered so with inflation around 70p kW but to level off the smugness back then there were hefty margins involved on the install.

Good point, that's on the list to look as I'm a bit dumb when it comes to all this. I've got Octopus installing a smart meter end of the month with a view to getting on tracker tariff (losing that lovely backward spinning dial on the existing meter) but recognise there may now be better options if I commit to a better scaled solar setup than I currently have (variable tariff to benefit from offpeak charging of battery in winter, one that allows export etc.). Will feedback but any views gratefully received
Don't do it! Spinning backwards means 30p per kWh.

I also have the highest fit rate, with inflation likely to stay high, it's going to keep going up at a decent rate. Which is precisely why FiT providers want to kick you off that rate for any excuse they can think of.

You can add a completely separate system (with own inverter) as long as it does not alter the existing FIT system, and of course you must not feed into the FIT meter! Just may need DNO approval

Don't do it! Spinning backwards means 30p per kWh.

I also have the highest fit rate, with inflation likely to stay high, it's going to keep going up at a decent rate. Which is precisely why FiT providers want to kick you off that rate for any excuse they can think of.
Sorry - missed your replies.

Edit: Hah, Blinky, I'm torn as it would mean I miss out on variable rate tariffs which will be key to driving the benefits of a battery in winter. I also have had my fair share of trouble with HMRC being hauled over the coals retrospectively and don't like the idea of living under the same cloud with the energy company deciding how much I owe them when they invariably discover it. Overall, I reckon i'd be better to take the moral high ground and get a smart meter [I feel dirty even saying that, I must be getting older/wiser/chickener]

Last edited:
Sorry - missed your replies.

Edit: Hah, Blinky, I'm torn as it would mean I miss out on variable rate tariffs which will be key to driving the benefits of a battery in winter. I also have had my fair share of trouble with HMRC being hauled over the coals retrospectively and don't like the idea of living under the same cloud with the energy company deciding how much I owe them when they invariably discover it. Overall, I reckon i'd be better to take the moral high ground and get a smart meter [I feel dirty even saying that, I must be getting older/wiser/chickener]
Which? Looked into metering a while ago, and concluded you can't be charged by an estimate of what the meter should read. It's upto your energy provider to change an old meter.