Moving old solar PV with FIT due to loft conversion, time for a new inverter?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquestam

Reaction score
Hello, newbie here! I've got a system inherited when I bought my house that was installed in 2011 with what I believe is a Diehl Controls Platinum 2100S 1.9kW Inverter, and 8x Sharp NU250 monocrystalline modules facing north east on the rear roof slope, which I can't find any information online, but I think it is this model NU-R250(J5) | Sharp

Now it is time to convert the loft, so these panels will need to be temporarily removed, and I'm hoping to install all of them back, but some of them instead of following the roof slope as originally installed, may be on top of the flat roof of the 2 small dormers.

The current inverter so far I can see does not give me any sort of remote connectivity/management, so I've no idea what happens without looking on its LCD screen. I have a brief chat with a solar PV installer around my area to check options and straight away they mentioned inverters life is between 10-12 years so I should look at replacing it. Of course I would love some monitoring to understand what is happening, and hopefully learn enough to justify adding another array of panels at the front slope of the roof one day, perhaps even adding more to a detached garage as well, batteries, and so on…

What are your thoughts on this existing inverter? It is quite large, I cannot manage it, does it make sense to buy something else? I've not even sure how much a replacement would cost.

I want to keep the FIT tariff, but what happens when a part goes faulty? Let's say one of the panels is broken, or the inverter, how can I replace faulty parts without affecting my FIT?

On the left is the existing array, the right side is the 2 dormers which I think could take 2 panels each, so I can end up with my 8 panels back in place.
Screenshot 2023-05-12 202903.png

Not the best inverter, but if it's still working...

Could you not move panels to the opposite side of the roof? NE is next to useless, SE, far better. Given the small size of the array and the fact you won't get all the panels on the SE side, then solaredge or microinverters are probably the best way forward. You will need to discuss any changes with your FiT provider, or risk losing the FiT altogether. They will certainly query any change in output from the system. NB don't expect an easy conversation with them 😱. 😃

It is "sort of working", as my production has decreased a lot over the last 2 years, could be the dirty solar panels, but also could be the inverter I guess?

The panels are northwest at the moment, and indeed as you say moving them to the front would make a lot more sense. I'm planning to add a secondary array eventually, so I wonder if the new array with better panels/inverters would yield better return instead? 2 people working from home, heavy electricity use as everything but the boiler is electric.
I could in theory fit all of them at the front slope so far I could see with my amazing photo editing skills :ROFLMAO:. Could even add a few more if that was a new array. I wonder if there is a minimum clearance or can I try to shove as many panels as physically possible on the roof?

1684067445512.png

My provide or FIT is British Gas, I'll see how it goes. Does it make sense to move to a different FIT provider for cases like this? Thanks for your help :)

It is "sort of working", as my production has decreased a lot over the last 2 years, could be the dirty solar panels, but also could be the inverter I guess?

The panels are northwest at the moment, and indeed as you say moving them to the front would make a lot more sense. I'm planning to add a secondary array eventually, so I wonder if the new array with better panels/inverters would yield better return instead? 2 people working from home, heavy electricity use as everything but the boiler is electric.
I could in theory fit all of them at the front slope so far I could see with my amazing photo editing skills :ROFLMAO:. Could even add a few more if that was a new array. I wonder if there is a minimum clearance or can I try to shove as many panels as physically possible on the roof?

View attachment 15403

My provide or FIT is British Gas, I'll see how it goes. Does it make sense to move to a different FIT provider for cases like this? Thanks for your help :)
Not sure if anyone is accepting FiT transfers these days?

If the panels are dirty, that will definitely affect performance. If you can get all the panels on the front, crack on, but you may struggle near the ridge line unless you take ridge tiles off.

I would move existing array to front assuming you can keep the FiT, then put any new stuff on the rear. The large improvement in FiT money will help pay your bills.

If moving the panels gets a large improvement in output than was historically on the FiT they will be asking questions I would have thought.

If moving the panels gets a large improvement in output than was historically on the FiT they will be asking questions I would have thought.
Which is why you need to ask the FiT provider first. They do monitor meyer readings against theoretical output/ historical figures. I'm pleased to say several of my customers were told they were overperforming 😇

Thanks for the help guys, I'll speak to them asap to clarify this :)

I've been asking a few local PV installers but it seems the norm to not respond to emails and phone calls are also not returned, I guess it is a small job and no one wants to do it.

I just found on the paperwork, it is £0.68 per KW I get paid, so yeah, moving to the front!

Locked to prevent hi-jacking (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.