External Corner?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posting here as I'm really NOT too sure on this:

Started of as a simple split the lighting up into upstairs and downstairs circuits for convenience on the back of a board upgrade. Existing wiring found run from the CU up under the stairs quite literally - the underside of the stairs is plaster boarded and the wire run in the gap between:

P2060131_zpscc106965.jpg

P2060132_zps7bbfcbe1.jpg

P2030129_zpsb7f697f4.jpg

So the wires are in a 150mm zone from what could maybe be considered an "EXTERNAL" corner? Or is this considered "above" a ceiling? It's circa 45 degrees.

Either way there was previously no RCD protection whereas there is now so the situation has been made safer IMO.

Thanks

Don't beat yourself up over cable runs in an old install. Virtually every house over a certain age will have cables like that.

On a CU change you are not responsible for bringing a whole installation up to current regs, just ensuring it's safe and all tests okay, and certain prescribed things like bonding are up to standard (or brought up to standard)

If you hadn't gone looking, you wouldn't even know the cable route. Are you going to "sample" the cable route to every socket as well?

All you have achieved is a hole in the ceiling that now needs to be filled in.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 with Dave

Ive actually put my wires there as I moved my CU to under the stairs,

I'd class it as above a ceiling, walls are vertical and magnolia in colour, ceilings are painted white.

albeit I did batten mine a bit and the cables are >50mm from the surface, [just!]

Don't beat yourself up over cable runs in an old install. Virtually every house over a certain age will have cables like that.

On a CU change you are not responsible for bringing a whole installation up to current regs, just ensuring it's safe and all tests okay, and certain prescribed things like bonding are up to standard (or brought up to standard)

If you hadn't gone looking, you wouldn't even know the cable route. Are you going to "sample" the cable route to every socket as well?

All you have achieved is a hole in the ceiling that now needs to be filled in.
Cheer for the replies........I have pretty much "bought into" the cable route as it is anyway as this will be where the new lighting leg is going (has got to go?) to split the circuits. Reading the building regs guide and it's on about "150mm from the angle formed by two walls........." but pictorially anything about it it only seems to show INTERNAL corners (NICEIC & IET books). Had I taken this route from the get go it would have all been in 20mm galv with "spares. Just overkill to avoid the Christmas deccies drawing pin scenario! Still can't decide whether it's a sloping ceiling or wall.......... :lol:

I think your worrying far far too much. I bet your installs are expensive compared to everyone else with galv tubing in a domestic dwelling these days.

It's a ceiling, no doubt about it, it's original install and you've put rcd's on circuits.

Call me a cowboy but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it!

If you lift a few floor boards you'll probably find things a lot worse!!!!

We are not the police!!!!

With a lot of rewires, you need to consider the amount of damage you are likely to cause and try to find best ways of doing things that are sensible and cost effective without being stupid. You want a happy customer at the end of the day, not someone refusing to pay because of the amount of damage you caused. Keeping in safe zones where possible.

running cables up the stairs is completely normal, and since when did anyone drill holes in these slanty bits to hang things on :^O . Even of they did, the cable is loose and would most likely move out of way of drill bit.

Latest posts