Farmers eh?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what did you say to him 🤔

Or did you just walk away
I explained the error of his ways and pointed out his poor understanding of life in general

Isolated at source. Told him what it needed to be done correctly. It's the footings for a new house
He is going to put a proper duct in, then I will eventually return

80% of my work is agricultural and it’s a nightmare most times, people just don’t get it and think that just because it’s worked for 30 years then it’ll be fine. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m not sure about down across the border but a couple of insurance brokers up here are requiring EICR’s on all farm buildings before they’ll insure them, we’ve got 4-5 to do so far of the more progressive farmers who are preparing for it but even then everyone of them will fail for the extra reason above, they’ve got a 2.5mm² cable running and entire shed because when they knocked down the old shed it only had a couple of 100W lamps in it and now it’s got sockets and water heater and high bay lighting and cow brushes and everything else running off it 🤦🏻‍♂️ I love my job haha

In the South of England the NFU insure most of the Farms and have risk assessment managers that check the risk they are taking on and continue to monitor the risk during the period of insurance.

In the South of England the NFU insure most of the Farms and have risk assessment managers that check the risk they are taking on and continue to monitor the risk during the period of insurance.
The NFU aren’t pushing for it but they are more expensive like 3-4 thousand a year more expensive 🙈 however the insurance brokers that are pushing it have told us that anything insured over 1 mil is automatically required to have it so is the NFU under insuring property’s? Or is it because they themselves are the insurer and not a broker that the dictate their own rules?

The NFU aren’t pushing for it but they are more expensive like 3-4 thousand a year more expensive 🙈 however the insurance brokers that are pushing it have told us that anything insured over 1 mil is automatically required to have it so is the NFU under insuring property’s? Or is it because they themselves are the insurer and not a broker that the dictate their own rules?
Sounds like the NFU have been bitten a few times

I explained the error of his ways and pointed out his poor understanding of life in general

Isolated at source. Told him what it needed to be done correctly. It's the footings for a new house
He is going to put a proper duct in, then I will eventually return
So is the barn it is feeding being turned into a new house? Is he expecting to feed a whole new house from some existing other building with a dodgy old fuse box?

In my book, new house needs it's own new supply with meter and MPAN from DNO

Old farm house is staying and his gobshite son is having it
He is having a new place built alongside
New 3ph service to be split one phase per each house and three down to the barn
Typical farmers. That will be a nightmare metering and deciding who pays what. And it would not surprise me if it ends up stuck on commercial tariffs not residential.

A tenant near here left the house he was renting because it was "associated" with a farm and they tried and tried and could not get it onto a domestic tariff and being on a commercial tariff meant no energy price cap and no £400 rebate, so the spent a winter on an astronomical rate and built up a huge debt.

If the two houses each had their own supply completely separate to the barn, then they could benefit from domestic rates. But farmers know best.......

Off setting your domestic electricity bill against your business is a loop hole that should have been closed long ago, but then we all know that poor farmers have to be helped with every grant that is available from the Government, and who ultimately pays for the grants? (rhetorical question)

Latest posts