FCU in bathroom

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecasam

Reaction score
Evening guys,

I have been asked to connect a 0.5kw heater to an existing FCU. The FCU seems to be fed from the lighting circuit, it is positioned at ceiling height, but reachable with my arm out stretched to turn on / off, this is in a bathroom and beside the bath so in zone 2....................Is this OK to connect to???

Cheers

If the FCU is over 2.25m from the ground then it is fine (OSG fig 8.1), although I think an unswitched one would be better for such an environment.

I came across an FCU at ceiling height in a bungalow recently. It was switched and bizzarely coated in white paint including the neon. Despite being ceiling height it was probably 2M at best. It was noted on PIR to be changed for a non switched.

even non switched fused spur? as mentioned above 2.25M is out of zones?
Yes, above 2.25m would be fine as that is outside of zone 2 but ecasam (the threadstarter) reckoned the spur was in zone 2.

The only way it could be allowed is if it is 2.25m from the floor. Then as pointed out.... it should only be used if it is on an RCD.... and ideally not on the lighting circuit.

Latest posts