Fitting LED flush-fit spot in loft hatch - how?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecount

Reaction score
I'm looking to consider asking my electrician to fit one extra LED flush-fit spot in loft hatch so it matches the rows in the ceiling to a total of 9 (3 rows of 3). He's concerned that it won't be safe and I totally get this, but is there a way to install this with some form of strong, flexible 3-core cabling or technique? Just so when we use the hatch, its not going to cause issues?

Attachments

• IMG_3393.jpg
    IMG_3393.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3394.jpg
    IMG_3394.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 0
It’s certainly an unusual request. A flush fit downlight is going to look odd on the loft hatch.

Can’t you fit one just to one side ?
well when it closes, its 100% flush with the ceiling and is the exact same paint finish with minimal trim. It will line up perfectly with the middle row. Is there any safe way of doing this? They are very very slim these spots, 30mm

Two thoughts come to mind.
The back of the light would need protection from kicking it when using the ladder.
The supply cable has to handle the opening/closing. IF your light is low voltage a security system type door loop may be useful. Otherwise substantial flex carefully routed and securely clipped. Maybe in a bit of flexible conduit?

what about some SY armoured cable . Very flexible and easy to work with,

Doncaster Cables SY Cable 2.5mm2 Coil 3 Core​

Flex would work fine for the cable, it's not like you constantly open and close the hatch. You would just have to be careful of kicking it, so I would suggest making a protective plate.

Latest posts