Cabling for garden project (colour coded diagram included)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeeTee266

Reaction score
Looking for some cabling advice for my garden project.

I’ve put together this diagram below, which hopefully explains what I’m trying to achieve.

(FURTHER INFO AND QUESTIONS BELOW DIAGRAM)

Garden Cable 1.jpg

GREEN – Garden fence lights (1.5mm 3 core cable)
9 x led lights on fence (including 2 on outside of our walled gazebo. I’m thinking of tapping into an outside double socket and chasing the cable of the wall and placing a Wi-Fi enabled light switch on the wall inside the house, allowing me to control the lights from an app. (I’m running the external wall lights attached onto the house, using the same Wi-Fi enabled light switch and app and it’s been working flawlessly for a couple of years.)

YELLOW = Gazebo (4 or 6mm 3 core cable)
I intend to fit 2 x wall mounted electric 2000w patio heaters in the gazebo (16amp draw each). I’ll also have 3 x LED ceiling lights and 2 x double sockets.

RED = Sauna (10mm 3 core cable)
I’ll fit a 10.5kw electric sauna heater with a 48 amp draw, as well as a couple of LED lights inside

ORANGE = Front garden lights
6 x led lights on fence. This will run directly from the main fuse board and I’ll control them with a Wi-Fi enabled light switch on the wall inside the garage, allowing me to control the lights from an app.

BLUE = Shed
In here I’ll have led lights and a double socket.

QUESTIONS:
  1. Can I run just one cable from the main fuse box down into my shed and then fit a garage consumer unit and then run the sauna and gazebo on separate cables from that point?
  2. If it is possible to run just one armoured 3 core cable from the house to a consumer unit in the shed, do I need to make sure that that cable is large enough (i.e. 16mm) to accommodate the total amp draw from all items downstream? (e.g. sauna + gazebo). Or does it not work like that if I'm using a separate consumer unit in the shed?
  3. If that’s not possible, do I need to run 3 separate cables from the house (1 for the shed, 1 for the sauna, 1 for the gazebo)?
For the avoidance of any doubt, I’ll be getting a qualified electrician to connect the cables to the house’s consumer unit and also wiring the electrics for the shed, sauna and gazebo. At this stage, it’s about planning and understanding the cable requirements I need so my landscaper can accommodate them in his garden work.

Any other comments or help would be much appreciated.

answer 1 YES,
answer 2 YES (same question as number one but with cable size added) you would need to work out the full load and cable length to know what size cable to use as its out side the house you will need a earth rod and an RCD fitted at one end
answer 3 you could do it this as well ,again to workout cable size, total load of and length each run , this time an earth rod for each and RCD for each outside circuit,
it depend on how much the cable costs and is it cheaper to run one big cable or three smaller one then you have 1 rod or 3 rods and the same with RCD,
if you have only one RCD when it trips you will lose power to all items connected to that circuit
so it really depends on what you want , and what you have connected,

I would have each item Shed, Sauna, and Gazebo on it own circuit , this would give me the greatest flexibility, but then I can have what I want , I don't have to pay someone to do it

the green lights circuit would need more than just connecting to the outside socket, I would take all lights Both green and orange , back to the house consumer unit and fit my wifi units there,

Last edited:
Why would it require an electrode.
What they need is an electrician on site to do the necessary calculations, this is way beyond the scope of DIY works.
Why any self respecting electrician would sign that amount of work is beyond me although I'm sure they exist.

My best advice is find a spark who is willing to test, connect and sign off before you do ANYTHING ................

As a registered spark I always say NO to people who contact me after the event, and often at this stage

Why any self respecting electrician would sign that amount of work is beyond me although I'm sure they exist
I misread the OP and thought he wated to know if it was possible ,not that he intended to do the work himself and the best way to run the ducts

Last edited:
Personally I would suggest you employ the services of a reputable (recommended) electrician to come and make an assessment of your requirements and the suitability of the existing supply as this is just as important, at which point you can discuss what works he/she would be happy for you to undertake yourself.
Some are happy for you to do the donkey work of digging trenches and running ducts and possibly pulling in the required cables, then coming to visit prior to any second fixing to inspect your efforts. Then finishing off.

This will save their backs and your cash from over exertion!?

I would recommend getting a spark involved right from the start, if you want to do some prior work then running duct and draw pits, ask the spark where then get you landscape gardener to do the work if experienced in ductwork.

Throw away comment, don't try to connect or place cables at right angles without a waterproof draw pit, sockets and lights should be on separate circuits, its these type of things that an experienced electrician would be able to advise you about.