Fluke err 4

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so would you ban someone from using a CK screwdriver because you dont like them and use wera or something else? manufacturer of equipment should have nothing to do with this. they are all just as safe to use as the other makes.

Sometimes I found the megger easier to use. 2 leads on E/L test rather than 3 etc.

and you dont need to press a button to start the test

the only one good thing i will say about fluke is i like their red test lead/switch better than the megger brick version

im sure that someone has had a fluke which has failed in a similar way and some other failures (and id imagine that also goes for just about every manufacturer out there). your reasons are unjustified and based purely on your thoughts of megger. (and if i was on a site and someone told me i cant use my megger because they dont like them, they would be getting told where to go, and probably not politely either)

I've a Fluke 1652 and the weakest part is the leads, very long as a matter of course I always give them a twist to make sure they are tight in, mines like new but Get connection problems, the company who calibrate it for me told me I to use the Kew leads which they say are more reliable.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

my reasons are totally justified, and they are based on experience, not someones hearsay.
ive had plently experience with flukes not working as they should. but im not going to stop someone using them if thats what they prefer.

your reasons are in no way justified, and are based purely on your belief they are all dangerous

Steps,

I can understand that you don't like Megger,,, but you cannot stop others from using one if that is their wish. So long as their meter is in good condition, accurate and provides repeatable readings then that should be enough..

BTW what was the model number of the one that blew up on you and what setting was it set to??

Steps,I can understand that you don't like Megger,,, but you cannot stop others from using one if that is their wish. So long as their meter is in good condition, accurate and provides repeatable readings then that should be enough..

BTW what was the model number of the one that blew up on you and what setting was it set to??
was about 4years ago, so no longer remember, was new style though.

all three times blew up phase-phase.

and yes, after 1st time I did double check settings, worked fine on a couple of tests IIRC, then BANG.

was about 4years ago, so no longer remember, was new style though.all three times blew up phase-phase.

and yes, after 1st time I did double check settings, worked fine on a couple of tests IIRC, then BANG.
I didn't think meggers could be used at 440v

I`ve had my 1652 for 6 years now. Never needed calibration; ...KME
KME

So how do you prove your meter's ok? By using the "calcard"? Why do people get their meters calibrated annually if it's not necessary then?

Cheers

Nat

KMESo how do you prove your meter's ok? By using the "calcard"? Why do people get their meters calibrated annually if it's not necessary then?

Cheers

Nat
Hi Nat,

He checks it against another meter.

Best Wishes,

Admin.

Nat,

Say you get your meter calibrated then immediately check it against a cal card (or something similar), do a Zs test on a nominated socket and RCD test on a nominated plug in RCD ---- note the results

Then you do above checks every 2 weeks/month and the readings should be the same (they can bit an ikle bit off but not much) and note these results.

Now all the readings that you get should be the same, if they are off by a significant amount then either your meter is faulty (or could be leads/battery) or your check box is faulty ---- either way you need to get your meter calibrated

It is very unlikley that both your meter and check box will drift by the same amount

If you also check a second meter against your check box then that would be even better.

I kept getting this about 3 years ago on my 1653.

buy a large croc clip cut the probe off the end of the green lead and solder the croc clip on. err 4 is bad/loose earth

if ever ive had it since its just the croc needs turninga bit so as to get a slight better contact but 2nd go err4 is gone

I have the same Tester and its always the leads that are the problem ....so dont panic lol

I just find when I zero I often get continuity tests showing 0.00 continuity.

A real pain in the preverbial.

I dont use the flike leads now, well not the ones supplied. Found them to be very poor in real life testing.