for information - anyone with upcoming assessment

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking to a colleague today -

This may have been because he just upgraded from DI to AC.......

Took the assessor to a CU change in a bungalow. Failed because he hadn`t de-rated the ring finals to 25A MCBs (cables in loft under insulation.)

He`s chasing around like mad, trying to find B25s to fit this Wylex board.........

The only ones I know of are the Eaton (MEM) ones; though I`m sure Hager do `em too.

Contactum don`t :(

Just beware - the area engineer thinks this is going to become more prevalent....

KME

Welllll,

My point to him was that, he`d replaced an old 3036 board with a twin split RCd, upped main bonds etc., so had left the propertry in a safer condition than it was.

He has the same Area Engineer as I do, so I`ll be quizzing this in November, when he comes to see me.

I think the assessor needs to be reminded that NIC DONT write the regs, and has the assessor done any calcs to show why 32s are not OK.?
I guess the insulation was over 100mm as under 100mm it would still comply due to 2.5mm under less than 100mm insulation having rating of 21A and 433.1.5 requires only 20A to allow a 32A overcurrent protective device on a ring? Not sure where he got that 25A from thouh. Can he back that up with a reg as it sounds made up to me?

I had this argument with the nic, so i spoke to rock-wool who manufacture the stuff, their loft insulation has a thermal conductivity of .044, regs state greater than .04, now it don't sound much of a difference but im assured by rock-wool that it is, so no derating required.They don't make loft insulation to dense as it can cause condensation, so it may help to find who manufacturers the insulation and find out the thermal rating.

Regards chris
.044 is greater than .04

KME,

I don't think he has done much thermal conductivity/heat transfer calcs in his time?...

Do you?

p.s. Same AE for me too.

I'll also quizz him when I get to him, as mine is due soon too.

Sidewinder and KME, Please keep us updated.

Many Thanks,

Admin.

thermal calcs were heavily pushed at us doing lv3 2230 (2 years or so ago)

but it makes me smile when the thermal brigade comes out and relines your loft with an extra 300mm and just ****** off.

Where's the continuity ? again we professionals are made to jump through all the hoops while others just take the money and run

rugbymacc,

Sorry buddy prob not to the extent that is necessary to undertake a correct assessment to the level of detail that is being suggested here!

This is the sort of level of detail we are talking about when we apply the adiabatic to earthing & bonding conductors.

Wylex do a 25amp mcb, However I have to concur with previous posts.

Even assessors can misinterpret regulations, without calculation you could not justify derating, and this would have had to take place for any failure on assessment.

I have not purchased one for a while but I do have one in stock, will take pic and post.

I will also try to find the supplier.

I went to the doctor's today , feeling ill, he said I was a typical sparks and was suffering from "Over-Regulation Syndrome"
ROTFWL ROTFWL ROTFWL ROTFWL