Good Deal?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have that set.... the drill is a little weak if you ask me... but then again I bought the SDS aswell and that is great

The impact driver is also great, just dont use the Milwaukee bits as they are pants

The BHP458 is IIRC the replacement for the BHP451 (which I have and is the mutts nuts IMO). Sure I've read somewhere that there were some "issues" with the 458 though..............with some saying it's not as good as the 451.

I

I have the same drill bought it a few months ago. If I'm honest as has been said above its a bit week on hard masonry drilling, so I get out the 36- volt with the right bit it will eat trough anything. but still in my opinion it's a good bit of kit. And I got the generic battery's from Axminster I think it's call for half the price, and after a couple of months of use are on parr with the Mikita battery

I have that set.... the drill is a little weak if you ask me... but then again I bought the SDS aswell and that is great

The impact driver is also great, just dont use the Milwaukee bits as they are pants
thats a frickin understatement,

they are total and utter crap, I was going to do a 'review' on them,

they just dont seem to be the 'right' size for a PZ2 screw, even though they are alledgedly a PZ2 bit, maybe they are imperial?  :slap

I have a set like that, not sure if its the exact model numbers. I got them when they first come out. (must be 4-5 years ago or more)

I think they are fantastic, I do not use the drill for masonry, just drilling wood or metal. Batteries last for ages.

I have seen there is a new set with brushless motors which i think is around £400 and i might treat myself in the new year.

I think i have also seen a new set with 4ah batteries.

I like the range of tools that use those batteries also. I have a vaccume cleaner that takes the batteries. I have been using a friends circle saw which takes the same batteries and it whips through unistrut like butter

Thanks for the replies guys :)

I noticed the milwaulkee set is £40 more but I have many Makita tools and am very happy with them :) The drill I'm replacing is an ancient bosch which I am still fond of but its letting the side down :(

I have looked around but found little negative info on these drills can you enlighten me further?

These Milwaulkee bits are they like the dewalt one from screwfix?? (utter poop)

Also:Top of the range, high performance 18V combi drill with 3Ah Li-ion battery, 4-pole motor and 2-speed all-metal gearbox. Supplied with carry case.

• 1 x 3Ah Li-lon Battery
  • 2-Speed Variable & Reverse
  • 22min Charger
  • 13mm Keyless Chuck
  • 21 Torque Settings + Drill
  • All-Metal Gearing
  • Electric Brake
  • Soft-Grip Handle
  • Automatic Spindle Lock
  • Replaceable Carbon Brushes

Ive had the lxt202 set for over 5 years and I too say its bulletproof. As above really. Dont think the gearbox is plastic though, can anyone confirm? For masonary the bosch 36v comes out :)

IMHO the Dewalt PZ2 bits are far superior to the Milwaukee ones... in fact I bought a tub of them today.

The Milwaukee ones have been hardened a bit too much and break really easily
+1 ^^

I always stick to the dewalt bits but recently bought some from screwfix and they keep snapping/shearing in half. Maybe its me but did think the last box was poo :)

LXT is palstic, MXT is metal. Its served me well, bot boring holes through joists as done for spindle. Beyond that its a good drill. The lad has a Milwaukee, performance is similar, but it is better built.

I have just paid £369+ VAT for the Milwaukee set. The M18 Fuel series, for the money I got the impact driver, the combi drill, both with the 4.0 batteries, and a spare 3.0 battery and a nice new red bag.

I have only used them a couple of times but they appear to be good so far. I have a set of the 12v versions as well and one thing I noticed is my new charger will charge my 12v batteries as well as my 18v stuff.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tools/Kits/Milwaukee+C18PP2B+Twin+Pack+18V/d40/sd3313/p87927 id rather this one or if you got the budget the fuel series set is even better :D
Don't think I'd bother with the 2.0Ah batteries for "proper" work, you'd forever be changing batteries. With my Makita BP451, when I bought it with the SINGLE 3.0Ah battery I thought it the best thing since sliced bread but soon bought a second battery.

Reference Toolstation...........I get lots of bits from there on the general DIY front and once bought an AEG 18V from there (the orange ones) not long after they (AEG) had been taken over by the Chinese outfit. Bought the "replacement" model as my bro in law had bought one of the blue "end of line" 18V jobs before all the AEG line changes - it's excellent and he's a bit of an animal ref abusing tools too. Knew I'd made a BIG mistake when I took it out of the box and ran it for the first time - sounded like a bag of bolts. Also plastic chuck etc. Took it back the next day to be told that any AEG stuff they sold had to be sent back direct to AEG by the customer and that I would have been told this when I bought it as something flashes up on the sales screen. Said I hadn't been told/shown this and suggested they play their CCTV back from the day before etc! On the quite the desk guy (different one to the guy who sold me the drill) said that they were having lotsof grief with the AEG stuff especially on the batteries. To cut a long story short I got my money back and bought the Makita elsewhere.

Theres a bit of an urban myth in some circles that AEG is the "same" as Milwaukee.......it ain't!

Last edited by a moderator:
Trouble is manufacturers are trying to save money by getting stuff made in cheaper places had this with a Bosch combi. Only lasted a couple of months and the gearbox packed up. It went back to Bosch and was repaired I will say it has been OK since. It was made in Malaysia. Things like this put me off buying stuff again from that manufacturer. I generally stick with Hilti. I do have a Makita angled drill which has been good. A few repairs but  I have had it years.

Binky.... According to the Makita UK site the BHP451Z that is in the LXT202 kit has a metal gearbox,,, which is one of the main reasons I bought mine 2 years ago
mines older than that, but MXT is the one you want - anyone I've met with an MXT has had drill working longer and better than my LXT, L standing for 'light'. Either way spindle is going...

Impact driver in the above set seems indestructible. I've got one, and its been going strong for the last 2 years driving big screws into timber for my solar installations, and that's with lending it to the boys, who never look after tools like I would.