government muppets

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When Grenfell tower was built London had its own Act, the London Building Acts (Amendment) Act 1939  and Sections 20 & 21 of the act covered the fire risk, but in 2013 this was repealed, if they were still in place at the time of the upgrade,  I think this fire would not have spread to the rest of the block and been held in the flat or at least  the floor the flat was on, this is how the block was built to work contain the fire in each flat, then the floor, giving the fire brigade time to put out the fire,   

I wouldn't be supprised if other factors came out that prevented the original design working as it meant to, besides the cladding... extra holes being smashed through walls for services without fire stopping, removal of asbestos, etc

As someone had said, if it had been left true to the original design, we would probably have had one burnt out flat, a couple of fire engines sent and it would have probably have hardly made the evening news the next day....

I do think there is going to be something about the advice that was passed to residents calling 999 about staying in their flats, yes thats the way its meant to work according to the original design, but it must have been clear quite early on that the situation was bigger than that, things hadn't worked and that strategy was out the window, perhaps there wasn't anyone who was considered competant to change the advice in response to this, so the same was just repeated time and time again. The big problem now is that whatever happens, no one will ever trust advice to stay in place again, and you could have a situation where a minor incident becomes major due to hundreds of people rushing down a stair way when the fire brigade are trying to get up it

I always wonder about official advice  and whether it should be obeyed or ignored in certain circumstances .  

The official advice to the captain of  HMS Sir Galahad  was to carry troops into Bluff Cove  and then keep them on board and sit and wait until the Argie  air force came to blow you all to kingdom come .  

When they should have been ..... get the troops into Bluff Cove ,  hit the beach as quick as possible , the SAS are there  saying its OK ...then get your ship out of there pronto . 

I wouldn't be supprised if other factors came out that prevented the original design working as it meant to, besides the cladding... extra holes being smashed through walls for services without fire stopping, removal of asbestos, etc

As someone had said, if it had been left true to the original design, we would probably have had one burnt out flat, a couple of fire engines sent and it would have probably have hardly made the evening news the next day....
Similar to the incident in the Manchester block of apartments last night? 

However I note that the fire brigade has said that the wooden balconys caused the fire to spread quicker up the outside! 

Latest posts