Green cars

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the government have announced upto 5K towards electric cars because there green....

...but the first cars eligible for the grant are expected 2011...

Also, because they dont burn dino fuel, there green.

er... burning dino fuel in power station to charge them??

And it will cost a lot more in Electricity to charge them, than petrol to run our vehicles now. :p

Tesla is reputed to have converted a car to work on RF received on an aerial! So when will we catch up with 1940's technology he died in 1943.

we should be happy with the goverments move as we will have to install outside sockets for theese cars:D

I would hope that the sockets would be the industrial type

I would hope that the sockets would be the industrial type
I was jesting ;)

Electric cars will never catch on.

The hydrogen fuel cell is promising if only they can get arround the 1 glitch - it takes more energy to split the water into hydrogen and oxygen than it releases. By a long way :(

We all need nucular generators in our cars. Nuclear power is the ONLY way forward (I fear) in terms of mains power stations. :(

Interesting article in the Telegraph yesterday. Taking all factors into account electric cars are 25% efficient, diesel 45%. Apache is right the only green energy is nuclear but the only drawback is the disposal of the waste. A very emotive subject.

that would be interesting in a crash :^O
I seem to remember Howard Hughes had same problem with steam car. Where whole skin was used to condense steam and it was not produced as a result. But Ford with the Pinto had no such reservations and exploding petrol tanks it saw as OK. Even today films still show car crashes where car bursts into flames with slightest impact.

But as yet the modern Tesla car is only car with performance and if you look at power requirements it would need at least 63A as single phase to charge it. As with the simple shower where only way to produce to 20+ Kw required for a descent instant type is gas. So it will be with the car and one will likely need a Sterling Whisper generator run of gas to charge the car.

Can't really see how that helps?

Now in Aus they have worked out a system where as a bus enters the city it can join a rail control which steers the bus and turns it into a tram. Expand on this and use electric buses and it could work. But Chester tried electric bus and it was stopped because people kept walking in front of it. Even with siren at front people did not associate the sound with the approach of a bus.

I see same problem with cars. The Toyota in UK can't be plugged in but same model in US can as only that way can it take advantage of electric car regulations.

Best is to use simple things first. Do away with the CAT and then we can start using lean burn engines. Only Toyota has managed to use both lean burn and CAT and I think it has to feed fuel direct to CAT to keep it working seems rather a waist.

Lucas produced a good electric motive unit many years ago. It was tested in the CF van. (Transit size) It worked quite well but was not sold in enough numbers to make it viable a little like Concord so only one I know of is parked in the alternative technology centre. Toyota basically copied it then added an engine to charge batteries and increase performance.

Other laws like the one banning free-wheel devices could be repealed now. And automatic gear boxes can help like the old DAF car still used in Honda today I had one in a Ford Fiesta and it was far better miles per gallon wise than when it failed and I fitted a manual box. Revs were much lower but current legislation does not test a car on the road but on a test rig and all these real savings are not published. I had a Vauxhall Aglia and Toyota Yaris which on government figures did same miles per gallon. But in reality the Yaris was far better on fuel use.

And for those using vans there is no figures as to how fuel efficient they are which seems silly.

Plus when we use oil we don't just get petrol. So to get the Plastic etc we will still need to refine oil. What will we do with all the unused petrol?

I seem to remember Howard Hughes had same problem with steam car. Where whole skin was used to condense steam and it was not produced as a result. But Ford with the Pinto had no such reservations and exploding petrol tanks it saw as OK. Even today films still show car crashes where car bursts into flames with slightest impact. But as yet the modern Tesla car is only car with performance and if you look at power requirements it would need at least 63A as single phase to charge it. As with the simple shower where only way to produce to 20+ Kw required for a descent instant type is gas. So it will be with the car and one will likely need a Sterling Whisper generator run of gas to charge the car.

Can't really see how that helps?

Now in Aus they have worked out a system where as a bus enters the city it can join a rail control which steers the bus and turns it into a tram. Expand on this and use electric buses and it could work. But Chester tried electric bus and it was stopped because people kept walking in front of it. Even with siren at front people did not associate the sound with the approach of a bus.

I see same problem with cars. The Toyota in UK can't be plugged in but same model in US can as only that way can it take advantage of electric car regulations.

Best is to use simple things first. Do away with the CAT and then we can start using lean burn engines. Only Toyota has managed to use both lean burn and CAT and I think it has to feed fuel direct to CAT to keep it working seems rather a waist.????

Lucas produced a good electric motive unit many years ago. It was tested in the CF van. (Transit size) It worked quite well but was not sold in enough numbers to make it viable a little like Concord so only one I know of is parked in the alternative technology centre. Toyota basically copied it then added an engine to charge batteries and increase performance.

Other laws like the one banning free-wheel devices could be repealed now. And automatic gear boxes can help like the old DAF car still used in Honda today I had one in a Ford Fiesta and it was far better miles per gallon wise than when it failed and I fitted a manual box. Revs were much lower but current legislation does not test a car on the road but on a test rig and all these real savings are not published. I had a Vauxhall Aglia and Toyota Yaris which on government figures did same miles per gallon. But in reality the Yaris was far better on fuel use.

And for those using vans there is no figures as to how fuel efficient they are which seems silly.

Plus when we use oil we don't just get petrol. So to get the Plastic etc we will still need to refine oil. What will we do with all the unused petrol?
The CAT is in the exhaust, so if you feed the directly into the CAt you would bypass the engine.

The CAT requires fuel to work. (CO mainly) With lean burn engine at most of the time there is no fuel in the exhaust gases so it will not work but has nothing to do anyway but to ensure it does work when required on lean burn engines some method must be found to keep it active. Toyota are not likely to tell anyone how they do this. But adding fuel into the exhaust would be one way.

This thread has reminded me that the DNO that used to cover the midlands (MEB Midlands Electricity Board) were running electric vans before they were disbanded . They were a Bedford , Transit size van . Are there any ex- employees on the forum who might know if they were any good ? I remember seeing them at their George Road, Erdington, Depot. Perhaps Central Networks are still using them ?

This thread has reminded me that the DNO that used to cover the midlands (MEB Midlands Electricity Board) were running electric vans before they were disbanded . They were a Bedford , Transit size van . Are there any ex- employees on the forum who might know if they were any good ? I remember seeing them at their George Road, Erdington, Depot. Perhaps Central Networks are still using them ?
if you really want to know about electric vehicles... go find a milk mans forum!

Latest posts