growatt min 3600 tl-x not generating even in sunshine

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi

We now have a growatt min 3600 tl-x, but it is still not producing/generating any electricity even in sunshine, we have 2 sets of solar panels with a dual mppt controller, yesterday I got a reading of over 70 volt, but no wattage. Should it not produce some wattage? The green light is steady just blinking at the same rate intervals instead of jut green but does not watch the instruction, which describes a .5 second then 2-second pause before the next blink blink. so confusing. But or garden battery system on 40 volts produces already 20 watts.
Any idea if the growatt is faulty?

Attachments

• growatt pv2 pic.jpg
    growatt pv2 pic.jpg
    570.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Growatt inverter flashing.mp4
    28 MB
75 volts is not enough to get going, and also seems very low suggesting a fault on the DC strings. How many panels and what voltage are they quoted as working at on the data sheet.

75 volts is not enough to get going, and also seems very low suggesting a fault on the DC strings. How many panels and what voltage are they quoted as working at on the data sheet.
Not sure what part you are referring to when you say quoted as working at on the datasheet, I have some in the garden that not grid-tied in but charging batteries, and yesterday, when I had 50 volts on the garden ones,I was getting 20 watts, not very much, but showing me it was working, so I was surprised the new grid-tied in one did not show any watts. I am not sure how they are wired but there are 2 facing one way(pv2) and 4 facing the other way (pv1)

Ok, do you know what the panels are, ie make and model. Once we know that we can find the data sheet from which we can get the voltage per panel , usually shown as Voc. Voc multiplied by number of panels on the string will give you a working voltage. If that voltage is insufficient to meet the 100v start up needed by your inverter, it won't produce any power. With only 6 panels, I suspect you are struggling to 'get going' hence your display is showing 'standby'.

Ok, do you know what the panels are, ie make and model. Once we know that we can find the data sheet from which we can get the voltage per panel , usually shown as Voc. Voc multiplied by number of panels on the string will give you a working voltage. If that voltage is insufficient to meet the 100v start up needed by your inverter, it won't produce any power. With only 6 panels, I suspect you are struggling to 'get going' hence your display is showing 'standby'.
Ok sorry i know now what you referring to, there 2 voc quoted here I attached the data sheet but I do not know which one I got installed. But they they pretty much the same.
The only confusing thing is the blinking is not as they describe it in my opinion and that is what did my head in.
1706621359796.png

Attachments

• BREG PANELS (4) (1) (3).pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
If you take a quick look at the specs for your inverter the start up voltage is 100v MINIMUM!
U cant make that with just two panels in series, U will need a minimum of three panels in series :)
Cheers
Stu

Bit late to look now as it's gone dark, but your first photo shows pv2, does the display also show pv1? - these would be the 2 string voltages.
yes but hardly any voltage, one set is east one west.
i think it is working so, but just needs higher voltage, the blinking light was a confusing one as it is not blinking as described. I deal only in black and white or absolutes.
Thanks

If it wasn't working or there was a problem, the inverter would display a fault code. However, it does sound like the inverter is oversized for the panels, which doesn't help. Did you install this yourself, or did you pay someone else to do it?

If it wasn't working or there was a problem, the inverter would display a fault code. However, it does sound like the inverter is oversized for the panels, which doesn't help. Did you install this yourself, or did you pay someone else to do it?
Third-party which guaranteed if it was not working when the weather improves they would sort it. It had to be split as no room on the roof so some face east and some face west hence they put this one in as it had dual mppt input.

Third-party which guaranteed if it was not working when the weather improves they would sort it. It had to be split as no room on the roof so some face east and some face west hence they put this one in as it had dual mppt input.
It should be working now, even if at a very low level. My own array gets no direct sunlight this time if year, yet despite being a fully overcast drizzling day, was generating 70 w.

so two panels isn't enough to get going in the morning, but should start up early afternoon when the 4 panels come into play. Would have been better off with microinverters to get a full spread of power through out the day.

so two panels isn't enough to get going in the morning, but should start up early afternoon when the 4 panels come into play. Would have been better off with microinverters to get a full spread of power through out the day.
Hi, i thought the 4 facing west should produce something, after all, they are 425 watts each. The strange thing is as well that PV1 never goes above 5 volts even on a sunny day so not knowing which has only the 2 on I would have thought even if it is the string with only 2 panels it should go higher than 5 volts, also I have now rechecked logs. I have not produced a thing in a month after the installation, so I think there is a fault somewhere. pv1.jpgpv2.jpg.
Any opinion would be appreciated.

Sounds like it's not connected, something is very wrong! It's possible the installers have connected the panel strings wrong,ie cross wires, but you need to get them back in to sort it out.