GU10 LED lights started flashing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orbital_uk

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me.

Kitchen lights have suddenly started flashing after years of perfect operation. No changes have been made to any electrics in the house, and I've tried new bulbs.

I've added a video, so you can see the problem (ignore the clicking noise, that was someone in the room, it's not coming from the lights).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Attachments

• VID-20231229-WA0000.mp4
    2.3 MB
I'm actually backpacking in Asia at the moment. Won't be back home until April!

I can ask my housemate to try and take a photo of the wiring today, but he's not very technical when it comes to this kind of thing.
I've had him try it with just one bulb in, but it still flashes.

The switch is a pull cord type, like you usually find in bathrooms (although this is in the kitchen). That's the only switch for the lights.

My money is on a loose connection, possibly behind the fitting, but could be anywhere on its circuit.

My bet is on the pullcord switch if the issue has suddently developed, the vibration from switching has likely caused a conductor that was never tightened properly to loosen further

Housemate is having difficulty undoing the screws on the light fixture. One of them has a killed/stripped thread. He's gonna have a friend take a look tomorrow, and then I'll update.

So they've got the light fixture and the pull cord fixture off. No loose or burnt out wires that can be seen. Here are some photos - First two are of the light, last three from the pull cord.
The earth wire on the light fixture might look like it's not connected, but it is firmly attached to the bolt.

Attachments

• IMG-20231230-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20231230-WA0012.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20231230-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20231230-WA0011.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20231230-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20231230-WA0018.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20231230-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20231230-WA0016.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20231230-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20231230-WA0017.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 0
Probably a knackered pull switch then. If you can find the same make, then it should just be a case of swiping the switch without the need to replace the back box
Unlikely. A dodgy switch would behave differently each time it is turned on.

To rule it out, turn ALL the power off at the consumer unit, join both the switch wires together in a terminal block, switch power back on. If it still flashes, it is not the switch.

Post a picture of the light wiring where the cable comes out of the ceiling, there must be some form of terminal or conection there.

Here's where it comes out from the ceiling.

Attachments

• IMG-20231230-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20231230-WA0008.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20231230-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20231230-WA0009.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
So you have quite recent wiring, loop at switch wiring with this switch being the last one on the circuit.

My money would be on a dodgy connection at the previous switch in the circuit, with a poor connection on the L or N looping out from it.

So after doing absolutely nothing, the lights are now working fine again.
Have no idea what the problem was, but hopefully they stay that way till I get home in April and can take a proper look!

If I do find out what it was, I'll be sure to come back here and update. Maybe it might help someone else in the future.

In the meantime, thanks very much for your suggestions everyone!