Hairdressing Salon Advice Required Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave4718

Reaction score
Hi Men and other genders

I have had a request to look at a opticians

shop which is being changed to a hairdressing salon, The incoming supply all looks relitively new and a 2 way consumer unit feeding sockets and lights. My issues are as follows. The cables start from the CU as nice new ones, half way round the ring i find old lead coated cable and lots of spurs shooting all over the place. The lighting is much the same. I have suggested to the tennant that a full rewire of all circuits is required with new cu etc. The building is circa 1800-1850 and no one wishes to have walls chopped access to the above floorboards is a no no due to above tennant shop.

They wish to have twenty double sockets, 15 Light points, 2 x 7kw shower points for hair washing at 12meters from the board.

Any comments would be appreiciated.

So how's the plumber going to run all the pipes and drains for the basins?

Exactly. The place is going to be trashed by all the work, so there will be plenty of making good required afterwards so a bit extra for cables is no issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK  If it can't go flush ..................its surface .

Run a trunking through the shop with smaller ones branching off .

Unless theres a suspended ceiling going in ,which solves all problems and would be the best possible option .   Clipped T&E  with YT2 for drops.

Be careful calculating the loadings. I wired a hairdressers and was surprised. Find out how many 'cutting stations' they will have. Many use 3kw hairdriers + all the other paraphernalia such as heated curling tongs  etc. Easy to trip a 32A ring even if the kettle/drinks area is not on the same ring.  The one i did also  had a 3phase 12kw water heater also.

The hairdresser i visit has all the sockets next to the cutting areas fitted upside down, so the flexes are easier to handle on clippers, hair driers etc.   If you were carrying out an inspection would anyone code/comment on this ?

Might need to look at the load available from the service HED too - your change of use might necessitate an upgrade to the supply..........

From your description ( 2 way DB???) ; I`d be starting from scratch on this.................