Happy Steve saying hello

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we can get frustrated with those who should know basic electrics, and are charging for their services.....  But some commentary had spread to new members and those professing to be DiYers, this has been 'sat on' recently, so hopefully the forum will be peaceful for a while  :pray .

There is also an art to careful wordings of posts....... I'll master it 1 day  :slap
Yes, on my favoured forum it's very politely made clear to DIYers that it's a professional forum and suggested that they should get someone in to do the work and we can't really give advice, and then those who are clearly 5WWs (chancers) are given short shrift.

I've mostly done commercial work; a small amount of domestic but now I'm doing industrial.  I'm employed to improve the factory I'm working in but I don't profess to know everything, just as a housebasher might not be familiar with anything 3 phase or a DOL starter.

big debate with DIYers, some say get lost and get someone who knows what they are doing, other say give then advice so they don't kill someone. It generally goes along the line of give advice and convince them they don't know enough....

It is a complex issue. Some DIY'ers are out of their depth but going to do it anyway how they want, as its only DIY!   Some DIY'ers are out of their depth and with a bit of careful guidance can be taught either the right way or easily persuaded to get some professional help.   Other DIY'ers are 90% of the way there, just in need of a couple of quick checks or adjustments to get it 100% back on line. Some of our members try to do a one-size-fits-all solution, which rarely works.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "friendliest electrical forum" is to be taken with a pinch of salt; sometimes I wonder if it's meant to be ironic
The original founder of this Forum ....the Welsh Wizard :Salute ,  peace be upon him .... deemed it to always try to be "Friendly"  .  The Wizard has moved on   ( not in the Shuffled of this mortal coil type of moving on ;) )    but the concept remains .

New members join and sometimes their attitude  is out of wack with that concept .......... some have been a disruptive influence such as "He who shall not be named "    .  To utter his name on here  evokes the death sentence  without trial .  A record holder in being on the most member's "Ignore"  lists.  

As Binky says , sometimes a  statement in type can appear cold and harsh   or aggressive  but only because you can't hear it spoken .  Not always  a smiley face thingy  that fits the context.  

Oh  and I'm another who, after 100 years in the trade  also has no NVQ  and couldn't give a flying phart .  

I'm all about the friendly. I'm the sort of person who sees the best in people (or likes to, at any rate). Hence, "happy steve". :)

I hope you'll find my attitude is not out of whack. I like to learn stuff, and give help where I can. Everyone's got their strengths, and weaknesses. My strengths are understanding, and attention to detail. My weaknesses are perfectionism leading to being slower than I'd like, not having as much experience as I'd like, and saying too many words when a few would suffice.

But I'm learning. So I'll end it there. :)