Haunted houses?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck U Farley

Reaction score
OK, seeing as I just denounced that film "Paranormal Activity" as BS, I thought I'd start a related thread.

How many of you out there have worked in apparently "haunted" locations?

I know I have worked in more than one place that has given me the creeps, and in my youth nearly went through the side wall of a pub when I distinctly heard someone chuckling in a darkened back room when I was trying to find the 110v transformer for some light. No-one was found to be in there, but we'd be working and hear glasses being smashed in the cellar, once again, no culprit found. I spent a tense evening, working late to ensure the place re-opened on time, facing the rear of the bar which was mirrored. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't help but see the rest of the pub behind me in the gloom. If I had seen anything I'd have keeled over, I'm sure!

Afterwards we were told a lad had hung himself in that back room at the turn of the last century and the landlord regularly had to go down to the cellar to replace beer couplers which had managed to detach themselves from barrels.

Some places just make the hair stand up on the back of my neck, so much so that I will do anything to avoid being alone there at any time of day, whereas other places (like, for example, the old wartime parachute factory), you'd expect to be spooky, I would be quite happy feeling my way round in the pitch black looking for light switches. How many times have I heard someone walking above me on floorboards when I know for a fact I'm the only person there. Those times I tend to end up in the van "doing paperwork" until company arrives!

I read now and again of building projects where sparks (and other trades) have had frights and refused to go back onsite. Didn't some castle or National Trust place have the electrical contractors walk out after they came back from a break to find the cable they had unravelled back on the drums, all the way down the corridor? Anyone here had similar experiences? It would have to be seriously frightening for me to turn down good money for work.

It's suggested that building works can unsettle supernatural energy (reluctant to use the word "ghost" until proof of their existence is revealed), what do you reckon?

Twoddle. I've just been working days and nights in a place that people kept saying was haunted, Only reason I'd have walked off the job would be so I didn't have to listen to people banging on about noises and ghosts and wotnot.

The only noises that give me the eebeegeebies in these old empty buildings, are the patter of tiny rat feet when I'm sharing the loft with the orrible little things.

As for ghosts and the like....never seen or heard one, heard lots of unexplained noises but then I just wind up the radio volume :^O

I like to think "twoddle" too, when I'm trying to get work done and trying not to scare myself, but it's too easy for my mind to wander! Once I've made the mistake of thinking about it, that's it, I'll not shake it off easily.

I nearly destroyed my boxer shorts once when I was standing on the first floor of a building and heard footsteps coming down the corridor towards me, like Long John Silver. I was on the ground floor without touching a single step and still hadn't finished the word I started when I heard the sound ("Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu................")

I found my "mate" on the ground floor with 2 broom handles, banging on the ceiling as if someone was walking along up there. I'm pleased to say he thought my reaction was the funniest thing he had EVER seen or heard.

Years ago , working for a small firm in the Black Country, rewiring an empty house near Dudley, on my own first day, apprentice at college. All cables passed through this one bedroom, every time I went in there had the feeling someone was standing behind me , watching. Warm day, room stone cold, feeling became stronger as the day wore on , hairs on back of head standing up ,also hairs on arms . I felt there was an old woman watching me from the doorway.

Next day apprentice joins me, I say nothing , he will only take the pee, I leave him pulling more cable in and drive off to the wholesalers. On my return I find him sitting outside on the garden wall. " You can take the pee all you like " he says, "Theres no way I'm going back in there, everytime I went in that room I imagined an old woman was watching me, in the end I ran outside" Kid was shaking.

True story, make of it what you will.

Deke

Then there is the story of the haunted pub, also in the Black Country, there are a couple Forumites from that area ,I think , who may know of this. It was the Park Hotel in Tipton, my mate's brother was the gaffer there and we used to help out Friday and Saturday nights. Anyway one dark and stormy night , the wind was lashing the rain against the widows and lightening was throwing stark shadows across the old Victorian rooms, everyone had left when suddenly.................... ............

My dads house was built in 1602 and is still standing strong. (old stone farm house with 1m thick walls internally!) Try drilling through them *******s! lol

The upstairs of the house is the old "living quarters" and downstairs is the old "milking units/Farm office"

My self, my dad and my sister have seen my dads dad who dies in the house. Even the local priest has seen him! but never manage t get him on camera.

There is also a women who is there who my dad and mum have seen. She walks about upstairs regularly, can here her walk from the kitchen down the hall to the living room.

People can believe what they want, but i sure as hell believe it. Many times ive been upstairs and thought some one was watching me from down the hallway in the dark, or from door ways.

Then there is the story of the haunted pub, also in the Black Country, there are a couple Forumites from that area ,I think , who may know of this. It was the Park Hotel in Tipton, my mate's brother was the gaffer there and we used to help out Friday and Saturday nights. Anyway one dark and stormy night , the wind was lashing the rain against the widows and lightening was throwing stark shadows across the old Victorian rooms, everyone had left when suddenly.................... ............
suddenly what???lol

and how would you have known what happend if everyone had left?

Excuse my grammer Paul, I meant the customers Applaud Smiley.

Anyway to keep it short the upper floor was supposed to be haunted by the ghost of a young child,a girl in Edwardian dress. It was said she had died up there while searching for her mother. The landlord's two young sons tried to take their two dogs up there ,who would accompany them everywhere normaly, but dogs would go into a panic and flee, had to forbid the lads from doing it.

Once after alterations to the smoke room , the stairs now came all the way down to finish within that room , the girl appeared on the stairs, it was a busy night but the room cleared remarkably fast. I was not there at that time.

When my mate's brother was giving up the tenancy and moving back to Brum, the agent from the brewery asked him not to mention..... you know what.... he played dumb because no one had told them when they took it on, and made the agent spell it out.

Said that the brewery had ordered them to say nothing .

Again the small room in question on the top floor would suddenly go icy cold, we experienced that.

It may be listed online , I'll have a look.

Deke

i once stayed in digs at an old pub which was supposed to be haunted.

one bedroom was locked due to being haunted.

i begged, but they would not let me sleep in there.

im not scared] :)

oh dear !

I've posted something last night , but i just realized, that was a mess.. LOL sorry guys , I think I will accept the facts that i cant do things one at a time ( posting and drinking :^O :^O )

Last edited by a moderator:
L Plate - I know we are nice about spelling and grammar and syntax but using a little of it would make your post a lot more readable!

:|

L Plate - I know we are nice about spelling and grammar and syntax but using a little of it would make your post a lot more readable! :|
I think thats the wine :Y