Have I done wrong - Advice needed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hello all,

Did some work on a kiosk type shop on a station recently, first a PIR followed by all but 1 of the necessary repairs. Cert all done for PIR no problems, submitted cert for repairs and seperate cert for fitting an emergency light and got an email from train company (I've been working for shop tennant and he has sent certs to train company) saying they have serious concerns over the certs, these being that I didn't put any test results on minor works for repairs completed however the repairs were just changing an adaptable box cover as it was badly bent and you could put you fingers in, changing a back box for same reason and replacing a u/s flourescent fitting. I didn't put any test results down as in my opinion the repairs cert should be read with the PIR and as nothing I had done would change the results it is unnecesary. Am I right? Also no earthing type on cert (this wasn't on PIR but they didn't pick it up) the reason for this is because there is just a L, N and E coming through the wall, I have no idea of the earthing type and they won't let me in to look! There is 1 mistake I put on cert which was I put EEBADS not ADS which is fair enough my mistake. On the emergency light cert I was unable to do any live testing as when I did the PIR I found the RCD discrimination was incorrect, I was then told it was fixed as they again won't allow me to look at the supply so after fitting the emergency light I did all the dead tests, turned the power on and thought while I'm here at c/u lets do RCD test and yep you guessed it discrimination problem not fixed so now unable to do live test. I noted this on cert and they have gone ape that I didn't do any live tests and I can't issue a cert saying no live tests done. Have I done wrong there? I though a cert saying that is better than no cert and I spoke to there electrician about changing the supply rcd and he was due to get back to me when done so I can complete live tests, which is basically only Zs to emergency light.

I would appreciate your advice as they really aren't happy but as far as I'm aware I have done this correctly and the RCD discrimination is nothing to do with me, or have I C***** up here? Any comments much appreciated, sorry for the long post. But the greif I've had on this job from start to finish is huge and now this- it is making me think of giving it all up and pack in self employed if this is the hassle I have to put up with, I'm now sitting at home depressed after stewing over it since getting the email from them at quarter to five this evening.

Agreed - for future reference, if they won`t allow access to incoming then you`ve just got to mark it as "lim". Similarly with the live testing. If it cannot be done, for any reason then you simply state that no live tests carried out, for x reason.

Don`t stress it mate - email `em tomorrow (or `phone, if your telephone manner is better?) and get hold of somebocy to explain the issues you had.

KME

I think this can be the disadvantage of being self employed - everything stops with you.

Don't fret over it, you did the best you could.

:D

I agree with all replies, you must always put any limitations to the PIR, and make sure you note on the certificate why.

I had a similar event where the maintenance electrician would not allow me access, I put down the limitation along with his name, got a call about two weeks later to say I could come back and have full access, I said ok but would have to charge for a full PIR as in my view this is another PIR and not a continuation.

I think it's an over picky customer, one I might not be in a hurry to work for again, particularly if they delay payment over this issue.

It makes a change for anyone to read an EIC or MWC. Most times you get a blank look "what's that?" and they file it somewhere they will almost certainly forget about it, without even looking at it or attempting to understand it.

Thanks for the replies guys, I did put a limitation on the cert regarding not being able to complete live testing and its that they don't like. Payment isn't a problem as already been paid as I have been working for the tennant not the train company and he is happy with what I've done and so paid me.

I've now replied to them and so will let you know what they say.

It sounds like your certs hae been sent to the train companies engineering department.. and that they know what they are looking at;)

Like I said I think you've done what you can and hopefully your follow up letter stating why you couldn't carry out "said" tests will pacify them

Seems strange that you were allowed to do the work. Normally network rail use there own contractors. As the premises is probably leased by them I find it strange they allowed the tenant to get you involved. Perhaps this is why they are getting funny about your certs now.