LCM Emergency Lighting Wiring help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whit263

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So i’m wiring LCM lights with emergency fittings and PIRs.
I have a 4 core supply going straight to the LCM box, then the PIR and the lights just plug off the LCM which is straight forward.

However in my head i had the thought process of putting a key switch and a 2 way switch back at the board, but was told that won’t work by a colleague, and that you just need a key switch because of the PIRs.

Struggling to wrap my head around it, havent done emergency lighting in a while.
So is it a case where the permanent live and the switch live going to the LCM Box will both go in the load side of a double pole key switch? And then bridge/link the common with a bit of cable? Or have i got that wrong?

Thanks Guys

The test facility only need interrupt the permanent line. BS5266 states the test facility should not introduce a hazardous situation when switched for test purposes. I would presume you only need follow the circuit specification provided to you or is this an ad hoc design.

most em lights you only need to switch the perm side. switching the sl will also switch off all other non emergency and is the lazy non compliant way to do it
Got it thanks mate, so i’d put my switch wire to my LCM in the common of the Key switch doubled up with the supply from the board (so its not switching) and take my permanent live from the LCM to the load side of the key switch (so it is switching). ?

The test facility only need interrupt the permanent line. BS5266 states the test facility should not introduce a hazardous situation when switched for test purposes. I would presume you only need follow the circuit specification provided to you or is this an ad hoc desig
@fleetin
Got it thanks mate, so i’d put my switch wire to my LCM in the common of the Key switch doubled up with the supply from the board (so its not switching) and take my permanent live from the LCM to the load side of the key switch (so it is switching

The test facility only need interrupt the permanent line. BS5266 states the test facility should not introduce a hazardous situation when switched for test purposes. I would presume you only need follow the circuit specification provided to you or is this an ad hoc design.
Ok got you, so i’d put my switch wire from my LCM in the common of the Key switch doubled up with the supply from the board (so its not switching) and take my permanent live from the LCM to the load side of the key switch (so it is switching). ?

You need to install it as per the specification. I assume you have been provided with this?

No mate, no spec its a small office refurb with a lazy landlord
No excuse emergency lighting is a safety system and as such there should be a design including photometric data. Not your fault but this is typical of companies who treat emergency lighting as an add on and have little or zero knowledge of it's application let alone BS5266. You shouldn't feel the need to come on an internet forum for advice.