Heat Shrink Colours

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Risteard, just asking out of interest and following on from what you have said, does that mean you can’t have the situation in say a bigger company where you have one man in the company just going round doing the testing of the various site teams within the company?

Risteard, just asking out of interest and following on from what you have said, does that mean you can’t have the situation in say a bigger company where you have one man in the company just going round doing the testing of the various site teams within the company?
The company must have at least one Qualified Certifier (QC). Legally only this person can carry out the inspection and testing (and certification). So the others in the company could carry out the work but it must not be energised without a/the QC having verified it.

For a large company they would generally have numerous QCs.

A QC Number is valid for five years, after which the Testing and Verification course must be resat. Without resitting the course a new QC Number cannot be issued and certificates cannot be issued.

So the company will have a RECI Registration Number, and each and every QC will have a QC Number, e.g. QC1234/012020 which would mean that the QC Number is 1234 and it expires in January 2020.

It’s a far better system than we have here that’s for sure. Does it get abused in any way? 
The potential for abuse largely arises out of Registered Electrical Contractors illegally selling certs to non-RECs.

Whilst this does happen I would like to think that it's not commonplace (at least not anymore).

The other problem is if a REC certifies someone else's job without going through the required Change of Contractor procedure. Again, I would like to think that this doesn't happen often as it is grossly unfair to those of us who actually comply with the RECI Rules of Registration and puts us at a competitive disadvantage.

Last edited by a moderator:
well the nic go one better they take people to court for using their certs without being registered!! 

LOL. If the non-REC certifying the work was caught they would be jailed for illegally carrying out Restricted Electrical Works (as some already have been), and for acting in a manner likely to imply that they were a REC. 

The penalties are imprisonment for up to three years and/or a fine of up to 15,000 Euro. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of interest, why are you certifying someone else's installation work?

The only time that this is permissible is after having filed a Change of Contractor request, and then only after having received written authority from RECI to proceed. In every other situation it is prohibited and will result in disciplinary action (including expulsion) from RECI. The only other exception to this is the "Test Only" cert where an installation has been de-energised for over six months to get the DSO (ESB) reconnection.
Hi Risteard,

Thanks for your help. I was in negotiating stage when talking to these guys and based on "Their story" I insisted of a change in contractor for anything to be done.

There is no way I would have done it otherwise. After further investigation there was no way I was going to get that. I will probably contact RECI/SElectric regarding this

as it looks like they are getting non REC's to carry out there works. Can't be 100% sure though, yet...

Latest posts