Heating engineer or similar needed - HELP!!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I`ve got a Ravenheat CSI24 System condensing boiler; which is about 8 yr old.

Over the years, I`ve had a number of problems with it - intermittently. Refusing to acknowledge pilot ignition, stuck air pressure switch, etc.

Last Summer, it emptied all its water out onto the floor of the utility. Turned out the Auto bottle vent had given up. This was because the top corner had obviously overheated, causing failure of the air pressure switch (melted badly), and the fanned flue assembly (overheated & seized).

These were repaired, and all the seals, overheat sensors, etc checked and found to be ok. We mended the fan wiring, which had melded together within its heat resistant sleeve, and the boiler fired up & worked fine.

I come home tonight to find the exact same thing happened this morningheadbang - must have been when it first fired this morning. The pressure switch has melted rather badly, the fan wiring is one gelatinous mess; and the AAV is hardly recognisable.

So.....here`s the question.

Do I:

1. Flog it for scrap, and buy summat else?

2. Repair it again. If so, how do I stop it repeating this issue again, when it feels like it?

3. Other.

I`m out of my depth now - my tame plumber / heating enginer have both scratched their heads, and given up. Ravenheat don`t want to know at all. Advice happily received.

Thanks

KME

I always think once they get to a certain age best to replace bit like a car you fix one bit then something else goes wrong. I think boilers are not made to last these days, are old boiler was over 25 years old and only broke down a couple off times in the years we had it. We now have a worcester one which seems ok so far but time will tell. Not sure of your problem as oi generally try not to get involved with boilers.

seriously mate 8 years is good.

ditch it ....

go for the baxi platinum ebay 800 ish 5 year warranty ....

sounds expensive i know butttttt ... parts are cheap ....

ie pcb 70 pound ... heatline pcb 256 pound ..

pressure relief valve 4 pound ... worcester same .... 26 pound .. :)

dump it and upgrade .....

seriously mate 8 years is good.ditch it ....

go for the baxi platinum ebay 800 ish 5 year warranty ....

sounds expensive i know butttttt ... parts are cheap ....

ie pcb 70 pound ... heatline pcb 256 pound ..

pressure relief valve 4 pound ... worcester same .... 26 pound .. :)

dump it and upgrade .....
Hello newby welcome to the forum.

:D

ideal do one the esprit .... 30 kw boiler 399 + vat with 2 years .... upgrade to 5 years fo 99 pound ....

if your a typical sparky .... squeak squeak .......

we fit baxi for the local council its the top boiler in my eyes... if a little expensive the duo tec .. same boiler but 150 cheaper and only 2 years warranty .

haha ..... 8 minutes ...... you guys are as slow as 4 sparkies on a rewire ... a plumber would of replied in 4 mins ..

good to be back.. thx guys

i like a boiler that comes in a box not one you hve to build on site . :)

diverter leaks ... baxi 8 pound ..... worcester 128 pound no service part available .. replace diverter ... 2 hrs and total strip down .. even if i remember right remove plate exchange . :)

JL ,

I need a combi on a serious tight budget,

24K fitted at the mo, its a MAIN24 , was fitted when I moved in, AFAIK its a cheap copy of a baxi (is that right)

my hot water is intermittent to say the least.

how cheap and half decent do I go?

if I got 2 years till I get some proper dosh sorted I'd be happy enough at the right price.

the main is a good boiler ... i would go for the main 30 fr the shear output if on a budget .. fits straight on the same jig .. flue the same and all pipework ... easy job ..

couple of hrs tops ..

i would of though 500 ish ...

its the same as the duo tec band A but the controls a little cheapy all internals are the same . an prob 100 pound cheaper.

but seriously the platinum has 5 years warranty parts and labour ... 780 plus vat i pay for em ...

the main is a good boiler ... i would go for the main 30 fr the shear output if on a budget .. fits straight on the same jig .. flue the same and all pipework ... easy job ..couple of hrs tops ..

i would of though 500 ish ...

its the same as the duo tec band A but the controls a little cheapy all internals are the same . an prob 100 pound cheaper.

but seriously the platinum has 5 years warranty parts and labour ... 780 plus vat i pay for em ...
would it be worth buying a board (PCB) for my boiler then?

rads work fine, just hot water is hit and miss, have checked pressure sw etc and all seems to be fine.

in all honesty if I was paying

hit miss hot water needs a service kit on the diverter 8 pound and 30 mns to fit . usuall fault .

Baxi-diverter2-.gif

strip down the front bit with the red on it ignore the back bit . :)

hit miss hot water needs a service kit on the diverter 8 pound and 30 mns to fit . usuall fault .
seriously?

I have had a guy to look at it, but after 20mins and him struggling I told him it was fine,

Im not even sure if he knew what the diverter valve was, he seemed more interested in the heat exchanger plate thingie.... (its a technical term I know!)

ant links to what I need,?

or PM me with a price from you.

unscrew the 6 screws on the front ..

remove the 2 pipes on top like brake pipes ..

take screw out and remove micro switch .

rempve the front remove the rubber and replace the diaphram like for like .. thats it rebuild.

the diaphram will have a small hole in it or a biuild up of lime on the crome spindle .. eoither way the new kit fixes it .. 8 pound from your local spares .