Heatrae Sadia Electromax Boiler And Underfloor Heating - Complete Novice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rankinc

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m hoping for a bit of advice relating to a Heatrae Sadia Electromax Boiler and the underfloor heating aspects of it.  Firstly I’ll apologise if some of the questions sound very simple, but I’m a total novice with things like this and I’m hoping some advice from experts.

I’ve recently moved in to a flat which contains the above; there is Damfoss TP4000 Programmable Room Thermostat in the hall and individual Uponor Thermostats in each room, however I am having trouble trying to get the underfloor heating to actually work.

I’ve programmed the Uponor Thermostats and the room doesn’t heat, so my questions are as follows:

1 – Do I need to have the ‘Hot Water’ switch, located on the boiler, on constantly to heat the underfloor heating?

2 – How does the Damfoss TP4000 actually work; I’ve noticed it has 6 programs for each day including times and temperatures (same for weekends) but does this switch the hot water off.  For example if I set ‘Program 1’ for 8.30am @ 15c and ‘Program 2’ for 4.30pm @ 22c does the boiler keep the temperature at 15c until ‘Program 2’ kicks in.

3 – I’ve noticed in the manual that it says the central heating can be switched on/off by the above mentioned programmes; however, I cannot see how you can switch it off when the programmes are all about setting temperatures.

At present the apartment is like an icebox due to this heating; I was considering buying an oil filled radiator as I am wary about setting this wrong and having a very high electricity bill.

Again apologies if the above sound very simple.

Kind Regards

Chris

The programable room thermostat is effectively the time clock.  It might be just for that room, or might be the master for the whole heating system, depending on how it's been wired.

Unlike a normal programmer, you don't program it ON and OFF, rather you set temperature targets at different times.

So a typical setup might be:

06:00 20 degrees

08:00 15 degrees

12:00 20 degrees

13:00 15 degrees

14:00 20 degrees

22:00 15 degrees

Note the early start times. UFH usually takes a lot longer to heat up than radiators, so start it early. Likewise if it turns off at 10PM you won't notice any difference as it takes a long time to cool down as well.

Is your problem you turn it on and don't feel any instant heat?  in 2 hours or less your rooms should be nice and warm, but not instand like with radiators.

The Hot water switch should be just that for hot water.

I hope you have this on an Economy 10 tarrif, if so try to time the heating so some of it coincides with with the cheap rate periods.

Are there any other programmers? is there a time clock in the boiler itself for instance?

Thanks Dave.

i can't see anything else on the boiler; just a couple of switches (i.e. boost, hot water, UFH and the temp gauge) ; i've recently moved into the flat (Friday) and am waiting for the Letting Agents to set up the utilities; i'll be switching to E10 if its not already set up.

The programable room thermostat is the master for the flat, its located in the hall (on the outside of the boiler cupboard) and each room as an individual theromstat (Uponor is the name on the control).  The problem seems to be i'm not getting any heat at all; last night I programmed the Uponor thermostats for the living room and spare bedroom as a test, i left them both on for about 3 hours and set the temperature to 25 degrees and there was no heat at all.

Before I went to bed I programmed both the master and individual thermostats to kick in at around 5.30am, hopefully to wake up to a bit of heat and again there was nothing.

With reagrds to your times above; between the hours of 08:00-12:00, 13:00-14:00 and 22:00-06:00 will the temperature stay at 15 degrees/

Thanks for you help so far, really appreciate it

My settings were only an example but yes when "off" the temperature will be set at 15 degrees. If it's really cold then the boiler will come on to maintain it at 15 degrees.

If you have it set higher, but the apartment is not heating up you might have a fault.  Check all the circuit breakers are turned on.  Check the pipes coming out of the boiler to see if anything is getting hot.

If all circuit breakers are turned on, and the boiler is not getting hot at all, then you probably have a fault and need an electrician to come and have a look at it.

Brilliant, i'll check all that stuff tonight when i get in.  I'll re-programme everything and see how it goes.  I have no issues with the hot water from the boiler so i'll check the circuit breakers and give it a whirl.  I only moved in on friday so i'll be getting in touch with the Letting Agency if all else fails.

Thanks for all your help mate; i'll update this thread if anything changes.  Cheers

Ah I thought you had bought the apartment.  Always worth contacting the agent or landlord to come and show you how it should operate.